Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 cat and just the other night I was on a cruise when one of the guys noticed my brake lights not coming on. Everything else works fine, directionals etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello, it is most likely the turn signal switch or the brake light switch. But first check and make sure there are no blown fuses. Open the trunk and locate the sequencer box. There are 3 wires that feed the brake lights. All should be hot when brakes are applied. Check for juice on the solid green wire, the orange with green strip wire, and the green with orange or red stripe. you can use a test light or volt meter. If the solid green wire is the only one with juice then the turn signal switch is bad. If none of them have juice then check the brake light switch under the dash.
Both wires on that should be hot when the brakes are applied. if none of them have juice then check the 15 amp circuit breaker way up under the dash. usually in the area above the fuse box and headlight switch. It should have full voltage on both sides.
If the turn signal switch is the problem be aware there is a problem with new ones melting due to bad connections at the rivet.
You can search previous threads to see what I'm talking about. As long as your original switch is not melted under the turn signal cam then you most likely can fix it with a new turn signal cam. I recommend tightening up the rivets on the new cam because they have the same problem as the new turn signal switch. Cam is about 75.00 cheaper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I don't know if this makes a difference but I noticed too that the emergency flashers don't work either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you but there is no circuit breaker. Both brake switch wires go far into the dash above the radio. I can't believe they would install a circuit breaker where you can't get to it without pulling the dash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can't trace the wires as they go up under the dash and then come out to the turn signal switch plug in, the flashers,the green wire to the rear, and to the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is usually located in the area above the emergency brake. I have to lay with my head on the floorboard up against the brake pedal and dimmer switch and look way up with a flashlight. depending on your cars options there is usually more than one circuit breaker and the brake should be a smaller one. It is not easy to reach but you can do it. Taking the dash out does not help much unless you remove the guage cluster also. That just allows you to get 2 hands in there as you still can see better from the floorboard.
I guess none of the wires on the brake light switch had any power?
If it has power on just 1 wire then the brake light switch is bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both wires to the brake light are dead. I noticed the flashers work but only if I push the emergency flasher switch in slightly. I ordered a new turn signal switch and will check again for the elusive circuit braker. Thanks for all your help, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new turn signal switch assembly does not come with a female plug. The wire harness comes with the individual female ends but no plug. Can I get a new plug or use the old one?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get the car back together and at first everything was the same, no brake lights and the flashers worked some of the time. As soon as I started the car everything came to life. It was as if the electrical system reset itself. Thanks again for all your help, I think I'll go for a cruise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update this post. The brake lights stopped working a short time after. It turned out to be the 15amp circuit breaker which on my car is located under the dash just left of the radio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts