Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having brake light problems in my 69. Only the Left (Driver's) side lights up. I have a new switch in the column, and a new sequencer box, and it all used to work fine. I must also mention that when I turn my lights on, all lights light up, and the blinker works on the problem side as well, any ideas?

Thanks,
-Josh

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hey Josh, long time no hear, I've got the same problem, someone anwer him.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Test lite

I would start at the back with a test lite and work my way from the front to the backI will look at my wire diagram and check back with you.Are the bulbs in right?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tested...

I have looked at the wiring diagrams, but still confused :confused: Also, I have checked for a signal, and I get signal all the way back to the box, so I tried putting my stock box back in, but I still have the same problem. :angryfi:

-Josh

·
Registered
763 Posts
check and verify the exact Amperage of the fuse??

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When the turn signal is turned on it "kills" the brake lights on that side, enabling the turn signal. It sounds as though the wiring from the new switch has a couple of wires switched. If you replaced the switch to correct this problem and wired it as it came out, you may have unwittingly reproduced the problem. I would check both sides of the switch connector against a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I played with the brake light switch and both lights came on, but only once. Guess I should replace the switch. If anyone has wiring diagrams for a 70 and is willing to e-mail them to me, I would be eternally grateful, the wiring under the dash looks very suspect, all full of installation tape which is old and dry and falls off when I touch it. Also the rev counter does not work and I don't really trust the water temp gauge or the oil pressure gauge, they are all faulty on the 72. Got a new set of equus gauges for both, but seeing as I am going to be taking every thing out to put them in I may as well sort out all the wiring.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is it possible to remove the old gauge and replace it with a new one that is the same size, I don't want to put the gauges anywhere else, so I got some that looked the same size as the originals, anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a new switch in the column, and a new sequencer box, and it all used to work fine.

Minimum Wage, why did you place the switch and sequencer box? What all worked fine? If these are the only things you replaced, and the brake lights worked fine, then the problem has to be with one of those two parts. The most logical choice would be as TheRktmn stated. You may have inadvertantly transposed wires at the 'C" block. I believe I have a wiring diagram for the turn signal switch for the 69 if you need it e-mail me and I will check and e-mail it back to you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a new turn signal switch from an online vendor, I did have many problems with the tail lights and turn signals before. So I replaced the switch with a new one, and a new sequencer box from Cougars Unlimited. Once both new parts were installed every thing worked fine for about a month, then this problem came up. Hope that clears some things up, thanks again everyone.
-Josh

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sequencer

Buy the electronic sequencer! It's well worth the money! (about $160 installed by mechanic)I had LOTS of light problems before that I don't have anymore...it fits inside the old original sequencer pack and looks original and is maintance free!;)

Also, I had the turn signal switch replaced with a BRAND NEW one. No old parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts