Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake lights on my 68 work great. I changed the bulbs to led and have been very happy with them. The problem I am having is I have to put the brake pedal down,(Beyond just stopping) a bit before the lights go on, is this a switch issue? adjustment? time for a new switch? any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
PB

·
Registered
913 Posts
Brake light switch replace! I have to do the same thing on my 68, I have power brakes, and if I apply them hard enough to turn the lights on, it will stand you on your head.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes brake switch be careful to get the right one! There are 3 different types and removing the drivers side seat is the only way to replace it without fighting it!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bros , I ended up going under the dash,Almost broke my ****ing back, and i pulled out the wires (At the boot) and cleaned up the connections. One of the wires, the one with the larger pin, was loose and came right out. I put it back together and made sure all the contacts were good. Now when you just tap the brakes the lights go on. It was electrical, not the actual switch.

PB

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a suggestion - If you have to go under the dash again remove the front seat first. It only takes 5 minutes or less and makes going under the dash very easy. Your back will thank you.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Glad you found your problem. Just a side note, make sure the master cylinder or power brake booster pushrod has the nylon bushing on it before it slides onto the brake pedal pin. Without it there is too much play for the brake switch to compensate for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts