Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with the passenger side brake lights on my 1970 XR7. The two outside lights don't seem to want to light up (brake) when I have the park lights or headlights on. Normal park lights are fine. The signal part of it works but when it is shut off the brake light on those two don't light up brighter. It all seems to work okay with the lights off.
I already have put an updated solid state turn signal controller and flasher in. Replaced the voltage regulator a couple of years ago and just lately updated the head lights with a relay system from RocketMan Innovations (Halogen Head Lights).
From what I've been reading the next thing would be the Turn Signal switch in the column, I think. Or would something with the head light switch be causing this?
If anyone has had this type of issue or knows first hand what could be the problem I'd appreciate the advice.:confused:

Thanks in advance...Randy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Are these duel filament bulbs? Have you checked the bulbs? Maybe switch the one that seems to be working with one that does not?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are duel filament and they do work normally when the Park/Head lights lights are off. Just do what I described when the lights are on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Shooting in the dark but doesn't the emergency flasher make just the center lights work (flash). maybe try playing with that switch / circuit, and see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try that but the emergency flasher switch is part of the signal light switch in the column, I think. Thats why I was wondering if thats the next obvious place to look and/or replace? I believe they make a good quality replacement and wanted to check with the people on here before I went that route.
Thanks...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
" Maybe switch the one that seems to be working with one that does not?"
This is a good place to start, to either prove or fail the bulbs, VS something else in the circuit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did that already and still the same thing. Eliminated the bulbs as an issue,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts