Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 that originally came equipped with power drum brakes. When I bought the car there was a set of disc brake rotors, spindles and calipers in the trunk. The calipers are the four piston style which I thought were used only on the '67 Cougar and that Ford switched to the single piston calipers in '68. My car's build date is Dec 7, 1967. Which calipers are correct for my car? I also noticed that WCCC lists different brake line kits for early and late production '67s. Assuming I go ahead and use these parts and they are from a '67 what is the difference between early and late 67 brakes? Which front brake line kit and hoses should I use, early or late '67? I know I will also need a different proportioning valve but I believe those were the same from '67 to '73 for disc brake cars.

BTW, I'm sure some of you might have seen this same question on other Cougar forums but so far no one has replied elsewhere. Call me impatient or just looking for multiple opinions. :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would not use the 67 4 puck disc, because they are problematic, the 68 up are the better ones and 68/69 have a different prop.valve than 70 up. I know this doesn't answer your question, but 67 is not the way to go. find a set from a earlier model Maverick or Granada from a parts yard. my 2 cnts.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Really, the 67 Kelsey Hayes are known to have problems? I have a set up in my garage I was going to swap onto my XR7....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. Not to disagree with the comments about the four pot calipers but the Feb issue of Mustang Monthly has an article about swapping from drum brakes to discs using SSBC's A120 kit. The kit uses cast four piston calipers that are reproductions of the original Kelsey-Hayes part that was standard equipment on disc brake 65-67 Mustangs and 67 Cougars. I was also told that the Trans Am race cars used this style of brakes even after the factory stopped using them on production cars.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Use them they will be fine. They went away from them whereas single piston calipers were cheaper to make and easier to use. The problematic part was sticking of pistons and centering problems but if you are not driving your cat in the snow and sleet and leaving it parked extended periods on dirt or damp gravel you should have no problems. Also the kelsey are harder to install whereas you have to keep all pistons on both sides opened to get them over the rotor but it is doable with holding you mouth just right! Some of the high performance brakes of today are multi piston such as brembo. BUT they are improved over the kelseys in that they are only on one side and not on both such as the kelsey.

But if you have to rebuild them or worse yet replace them, more $$$$ and/or hassle!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All things considered, especially the fact that I already have the most expensive pieces in hand, I think I will at least give the 4 pots a try. My ultimate goal for this car is to do a Coyote swap with a different front suspension and braking system anyway. Once a hot rodder always a hot rodder...:burnout:

BTW, here's a pic of a six piston Brembo, sure looks like three per side to me.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I stand corrected. I have worked on a car with brembo dual pistons. so they make others too. who would have thought.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I never said you couldn't use them, I said that there was a better and cheaper way to go! you'll see.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more reason to go with the 4 pots. I believe I can leave my original spindles in place and just add the caliper brackets, dust shields and rotor/hub assemblies from the earlier spindles which means I don't have to mess with the ball joints or risk changing the front end alignment. The ball joints are tight, no reason to fool with them if I don't have to. According to this website Ford used the same spindle for both disc and drum brakes through '67 and it was the same spindle as on '68-69 drum brake cars like mine. This is getting better all the time.

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/discbrakefacts.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts