Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if disc brake and drum brake boosters are the same????:confused: If they are, how would having a drum booster effect braking with disc brakes?

·
11,000 Posts
I have seen a lot of drum brake NOS boosters on Ebay and asked myself the same question. I suspect, but am not sure, that the booster itself is the same but the pushrod length is different. The boosters in question have a different part number than a disc brake unit and so there must be a tangible difference. What that is, I don't know.

·
11,000 Posts
I would like to find out for sure and have bid one up to $125 but then it went on to around $200. If it wouldn't work it would be an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
there are excellent reproductions out there for less. think about it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for some input but i still havent got an answer.... i would really like to know... if anyone knows anything please let me know... thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I dont know if being perfectly original matters to either of you or not but my 67 STD had drum manuls and I used the Booster/M.Cyl (bought both together re-built for $90!) from a 78 Granada. If I didn't tell you you'd think it was factory. It even came with the right length push rod that attached to my brake pedal perfectly! Easy and Cheap!
Scott

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you're talking about power boosters, then yes they are the same. Boosters increase hydraulic pressure in the lines to increase braking power. They show up more on disc setups becuase of the high pressure requirements of disc brakes. Most American drum brakes need less pressure at the wheels because they are designed to boos their power mechanically at the wheels. Duo-servo is the term for it. The front brake lining grabs, and shoves the rear lining into contact, creating more braking power. All-around drums don't need as much of a boost as front discs and far less power than discs all around. Did that answer your question?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
itow said:
I dont know if being perfectly original matters to either of you or not but my 67 STD had drum manuls and I used the Booster/M.Cyl (bought both together re-built for $90!) from a 78 Granada. If I didn't tell you you'd think it was factory. It even came with the right length push rod that attached to my brake pedal perfectly! Easy and Cheap!
Scott

Scott, did you use the Granda set up with disk/drums or drum/drums? Reason I'm asking is I'm in the middle of the install of the mustang II front end (granada disk's with metric gm calipers) on this 68 Mustang and I was wondering what to do for a master cyl as its a manual drum car. I have the combo/prop valve from a 70 disk/ drum car that I was planning on using.

I wasnt too worried about going power as the room under hood is going to be full of the 460 but if there was a power set up that cheap I would definatly think about it.

Brakes are not my stong point and you useally dont see me advising anyone on them. mm

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
What about hydro boost brakes. With a 460, I'd want power brakes...

bruce

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mark-
If I were you, I'd go with the hydraboost or something like a GM Powermaster. Hydraboost relies on power steering fluid, so you'd have to sacrifice a little horsepower for the ps pump. GM's powermaster is a sperarate pump (electric) and hydraulic reservior for just boosting the brakes. I doubt that 460 of yours will make enough vacuum for a traditional booster.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I used the Disc Drum M Cyl. You dont need very much vacuum at all to run a brake booster especially if you were to add a vacuum can (you can get them fom summit cheap). I DEFINATELY would NOT recommend a Hydro-Boost system for any older performance car. Yes I know the new Mustangs use them and they also have a MUCH better reserve system on them to keep you out of an accident. On an older Hydro Boost system you only get usually 2 or 3 brake pedal pumps once the engine shuts off and the pedal gets so hard you cant stop the vehicle. We've owned several GM tow trucks with this setup and one was in an accident for that reason. Either go manual brakes or vacuum booster I would never go Hydro boost on a performance vehicle..
Just my $0.02
Scott

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Scott, I'm with you on the no hydra boost, I run alot of GM buss's on the jobs sometimes with that setup, there not for me.

I guess I was really trying to find out if the Granada power booster was a bolt in with the manual drum brake pedal? I'm not worried about a lack of vacume as the 460 "should" be ok there.

Like I said I dont have much problem with the manual brakes , but power would be nice. mm

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yes, it was bolt right in as far as the pedal and all goes. The ONLY thing I had to do was drill the 4 mounting holes for the studs in the rear of the booster. It was easy and you cant even tell its not factory...
Scott

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mark, I'd through in the vac can just to be safe. Never want to see a cougar or a friend wind up gone 'cuz of brake failure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts