Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping over from manual drums to power disc, how does the brake booster mount to firewall? is there a bracket?

·
Registered
839 Posts
The Under Dash Pedal Support Bracket is different for Boosted Cars. It is designed for the Booster Mounting Posts and the One LH Top Bolt. IIRC, Brake Pedal is different also.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I used the manual drum pedal bracket on mine- I only changed the brake pedal itself. I want to say that I did have to utilize different holes that were already there, though.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You will need to drill out/remove a few (i think 2) of the nuts that are pressed into the pedal support. Then drill another hole. The large center hole will need to be enlarged, kinda like a smile. The booster would depend on year (don't know yours) but there are two types. Midland (band clamp) and Bendix (twist lock) The Midland does not require a bracket, but the Bendix does. The Bendix rebuilt by Cardone (rebuilder for most stores) usually does NOT come w/ bracket, so in your case the Midland would be best. I personally like the Bendix (was used on 69 & 70's) Also get a NEW master cyl. ( I also prefer Bendix master cyl about $60)

Other things you will need: power brake pedal, brake switch, brake dist block and what some call Proportioning valve or Pressure residual valve. New front brake hoses among all the disc brake related items.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts