Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

It took me a little bit (and a broken radio), but I figured out why my 68 Cougar was idling rough when I pressed the brakes. I have a noticeable hiss coming from under the dash. I've since remove and plugged the line into the booster. No power brakes right now, but it runs much better when stopped. My guess is a bad seal/valve of some type around the inside plunger. Is that something that is repairable outside of completely replacing the booster. And, if I replace the booster, should I just replace the master cylinder too and get it over with? Best as I can tell, it's all original.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The master cylinder most likely has been replaced by now, once you remove it you can look from the back side and tell if it is beginning to seep. On the booster you just need to have it rebuilt.

<table id="Contents Table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1968 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Midland Power Brake Booster with Core Charge - Rebuilt
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 1000067-CoreCharge

Price includes $150 Refundable Core Charge. The Midland booster was used in 1967-68 and has better stopping capability than the 1969-70 Bendix . . .

</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,

I tried to order that booster a few days ago and they were not in stock. But, that's good to know. I'll keep checking.

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts