Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with brake lights and directionals. All parking lights work. Just passenger brake lights come on when brake is applied. Right directional did work. No left brake or directional. Just put new directional switch in and new 552 can. cant make heads or tails of wiring diagrams/ not the best at troubleshooting. any ideas of the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Any difference in the DS directional behavior when the parking lights are on? Otherwise, - if you are sure the TS switch is good and it was properly installed -, the sequential box could be a good possibility.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The bulbs are dual element, if the brake lights and turn signals work on only one side perhaps it's the bulbs on the left. Swap a couple of bulbs and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bulbs are good. nothing when parking lights are on. now i have no directionals at all. hazard lights still work. i did change the voltage regulator. what wires on the directional switch could i check to see if switch is bad?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1969. this blows not being able to drive my car. sick of ordering new parts that dont fix the problem

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...this blows...
So... I guess your horn works then? :buck: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hang in there, you'll get to the bottom of it. Johnboy has a good suggestion, check it out.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are the problems the same now as they were before you replaced the directional switch ? Not sure for 1969, but the 1970 wiring diagram shows a 15amp circuit breaker/relay thats mounted in the dash area. I would check that to make sure its still working. When I had an issue with my brake lights, I learned that the inner bulbs work even if the sequencer unit(in the trunk) is unplugged. The sequencer unit is needed for the middle and exterior brake light bulbs to work...Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts