Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 71 GT (if I decided the vin correctly) to restore. Did not come with the engine or trans. Core support is basically rusted away and shot. Question is, will engine frame mounts, radiator, core support, all that good stuff from a 76 elite bolt or fit with minor fab in my 71? The guy I bought the cougar from, messaged me saying he just got the 76 on a trade and I can have the motor & trans along with anything else I need off of it. He said it will all fit, but want some clarification before I spend a weekend pulling parts. The motor is a 400, still researching if it will work in my bay.

Thanks in advance for any advice and input you all can provide.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
No sheet metal will work. The 71 is a unibody car, iE the frame is part of the body and does not unbolt from t. The 76 is a frame car.
As for t he 400, it will fit, but you may have some fabrication to do. Your 71 most likely had a 351 Cleveland. That uses Small block mounts, the most common ones. The 400 uses Big Block mounts that ae harder to find.
FYI you can determine the original engine with the VIN In the case of a GT or any standard 71 the VIN will start with 1F91, then a H for a 351 2V or a M for a 351 4V. Then the sequential number that for any Mercury starts with a 5xxxxx. For 71 the 429CJ was also available in the cougar and would have had a C or a J where the engine code goes at the 6th character.
I do not think there is a way to tell if it is a GT in the VIN. The buck tag on the core support may have that, A GT has chrome GT letters on the fenders and trunk lid, But the trunk lid letters fall off. The best way to tell is to get a production report from Marti auto works. Marti Auto Works - Marti Report

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks badcat. The website I went to to decode the vin said it was a GT, but with no badges I guess I can't say for sure. I'm gonna register it here and see if it gives me the same info. It did come with a 351 according to that site. Are the pedestals different between small & big blocks with how they bolt to the frame? I need those as well and figured it would be a win win for my situation if they would bolt right on. I've tried searching the net, but everything I come across with the 400 leads me to truck forums.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
The 400 was used on F series trucks, but was also put in mid size and full size cars in the late 70's. It is not a popular performance engine in cars. But could work well.
I have never done engine swapping in to 71-73 Cougars and am not sure if the pedestals are the same between big and small block cars. See if you can find a Mustang forum that might have people with 71 Mustangs with the 429CJ in them. I am a member of this one, http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php and they talk about a lot of deferent powertrain cars. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike,

The core support, and front end structural components are the shared between the 71-73 Cougars and Mustangs. The 71-73 Cougar Parts for Sale group on Facebook had frame stands and mounts for sale on there recently. Also a few guys parting out cars as well. Might join it and find what your looking for. The 73 Mustangs had unique frame and motor mounts. It was a one of thing for Ford that year. But any 71-72 Mustang frame stand for the engine mounts should work. The Big Block cars so I've been told used the convertible frame stands that sat the motor lower into the engine bay. But I've also seen where folks said you can use the regular SB (351C, 302) Frame Stands and they will accept the BB motor mounts as well. - Matt

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
And how could it be incorrectly determined by the vin? All car vin check services have the same database.
That is true for all 17 character vins which came into mandated use with the 1981 model year.
The 11 character vin that Ford utilized in the 1960's and 70's are not always decoded properly depending on who is decoding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts