Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I went out this morning and bought some Hedman Headers for the Cougar. Part number 88300. Anyway, they are going to be installed tomorrow morning, but I was wondering, did anyone have a problem with the powersteering line? Someone pointed that out to me, and it does look like the line out of the PS pump is going to be in the way of the headers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
on my '68 (which I know is different) I melted the p/s lines twice... once causing a fire that quickly and fortunately blew itself out because the smoke stifled it, and once just billowing smoke as I was driving. We had tried to reroute the hoses carefully and they were clear, at least while the car was pointed straight ahead. The problem is that on the '68s (I don't know about '69) the whole ram moves, so the hoses do too... and at about 1/2 turn the pressure hose was rubbing the pipes. Our solution was to wrap the hose in header wrap (we weren't about to take the headers back out); it's held up fine since then!
My suggestion: however you route your hoses, check clearance from lock-to-lock!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg, but I am talking about the line right when it comes out of the back of the pump. It doesn't move. :)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Chris, the line does move if you loosen the nut. You might get away with loosening the nut and moving the line abit to give clearance, then tighten the nut up again. Worth a shot.

Rick

·
Registered
216 Posts
All these comments are right... I second the "fuel source spraying on heat source engine bay fire" comments by greg, I've had it happen twice too. Pretty scary.

The steel line coming out of the back of the pump can be rotated when loosened, just like rick said. It can also be re-bent, to a degree, just like a brake line... be careful and don't kink the bugger.

I had my pressure side hose made at a hydraulic specialy shop here in Waterloo... Cost more, but the end fittings are cool/reuasable, and the hose is a lot more robust than the ones they normally sell as replacements.

It's only out of friendly concern that I make these comments... An under-hood fire will REALLY get your blood pumping!

Ron.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Got the headers put on today. The shop did a very nice job. Lost some lowend, but mid and top feels alot stronger. The car did get louder, which I'm not too happy about..

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Chris, put a balance pipe (H-pipe) between the exhaust, not an X-pipe. The h-pipe will quiet it down alot, and give more bottom end. Usually go about 7inches back from the collectors. :)

Rick

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Rick,

It has the original H Pipe still on it, right after the collectors.

Chris

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Or you could anonomously donate a whole lot of ear muffs to the cops at the police station that you have to pass each day.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe :) I'm not too worried about the sound, it got quieter at lower RPM's but louder at higher RPM's. The biggest thing I want, is my low end torque.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn,, my car got MORE low end and quieter all around with the headers.. i guess its a freak

oh yeah.. two words... FULL TAILPIPES.. screw te dumps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts