Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll put some pictures in the gallery soon, but I bought a '68 Cougar that Bob Goff had made look like one of his '70 Eliminators...Woohoo, I finally have my Cougar!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
sweet, it should be a fun car. post the pics and we can all gawk at it lol. you reminded me that i have to take some shots of my car now that its all put together again..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started a member gallery with some pictures Bob had taken and emailed me before I drove up and picked it up today. Hopefully the images will be approved and you can see them soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
These are the ones going in the gallery, but they were taken by Bob Goff before I purchased the car yesterday.

Yes, that's a newly rebuilt 1969 351W-4bbl in there with new Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Performer 750cfm carb...Compression right now is 11.?:1 (can't remember off the top of my head). I drove it home 200 miles yesterday and I think the timing is advanced a little too far, I'm getting some plug knock (what my dad always called it), so it may need to be retarded a little bit. The idle is a little too low to have the AC running while sitting in traffic (hit this during Atlanta rush hour yesterday), so I just enjoyed having the windows down. All in all, I'm tickled pink. Anyone have a guide to headliner installation or just easier to get someone to do it for you? There's a brand new headliner in the trunk.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
whoah....... you are giving me ideas now. i may have to steal that idea and run with it. hmm, i do have the better part of a soon to be wicked 351C around here.... but heres the problem with your car. YOU LIVE TOO FAR AWAY!!! you wont be at the Knotts show so i cant take notes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
muhahaha :) I thought it was pretty unique...I always thought a '68 eliminator style car would look good, but hadn't really seen it put together until I called Bob bugging him to see if he had any cars for sale and he told me about this one. The engine rebuild has about 600 miles on it now. The car only had 60000 miles on it before the 351W was dropped in. Those are Torq Thrust D's....has a 1 inch front sway bar,new KYB gas shocks, traction bars, A-arms dropped around 1-inch, negative camber and toe in like Carroll Shelby did, '77 Grenada power disc brake conversion, power steering conversion, and there's a brand new B&M Shift Kit laying in the back seat just aching to be installed. The windshield and rear window don't have all the chrome goodies around them due to the need for the new headliner. Since the windows have to come out for the headliner, Bob left the chrome off. It hauls is all I can say...push you back in your seat accelleration

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
in all seriousness i have been keeping an eye out for a 67 or 68 with a 4 spd in it. i am planning to buid a 351C and it will go in there should i happen to get that car. im planning on 400 hp or so for it. i dont have any money for that right now though, but thats the plan for someday. all i require is a 67 or 68 ( prefer a 68 ) a 4 spd tranny, rear end in it. prefer a posi in it too, but no biggie if its missing it. dont need an engine in it. body should be ok. i can fix it if its got a few things, but i dont want to replace all the damn panels on it. i dont like rust.. interior wise... i would probably take the back seat out, but leave the two stock seats in the front. might keep the back seat though, i dont know yet. ooohh, and Competition Orange looks so damn good on it........... or i can mix a color of my own...... need the scoops on it and and and and and... ( well it just keeps going on )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
couple of quick questions,
the headlight covers will open ok, but don't close? Is that just the vacuum motors or what? Anyone have a diagram of the sequentials so I can replace the relays? The sequentials supposedly just need new relays and he gave me a bag full of relays. Also, the horn doesn't work at all, anyone have a quick list of things to check to get the horn working?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Headlight Covers - most likely the motors but check for a leak or blockage in the circuit that keeps the doors closed (had block in line on my 70)
Sequentials - check out Vic Yarberrys site
http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/#Sequential_Trouble_shoot

Horn - have had similar problems. - you will need a couple of small leads with aligator clips on each end to help testing
- check the ground on the horn - they are earthed out to the frame through the bracket. earth the horns out to the frame to get a good connection for testing
- run a live wire from battery to live terminal on horn and see if they work. If they dont
If the gorns work when jumpered then
- pull the centre cap to the grant wheel and make sure it is contacting both the brass contact (with the spring) and the copper connections
- jump a wire from brass contact to the copper connections to see if the horns work. if they work the problem is probably in the cap
If the horns still don't work you need to check the wiring to and from the wheel
- check that there is power to the yellow wire running up the steering column harness (ends in the brass thing with spring) on indicator switch
- check continuity from horn to switch on column - you will need multi-meter or test light to test the blue/yellow wire in the harness

Hope this isn't too confusing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not confusing at all...However, my headlight covers aren't having trouble opening...once I open them, I have to close them by hand after I turn off the lights.

·
Registered
669 Posts
They both won't close? Could be both motors. Disconnect the top vacuum line from the motor and attatch a vacuum pump to the motor and see if it works. If not, then you know its the motor. If they both work that way, then chances are it's either a blocked or broken vacuum line, or the headlamp switch itself.

Hey no center console. How come lately i'm seeing all these cougars without a center console? Hmmnnn.

Hey sixt9coug,, You can convert an auto to a 4 spd. That's what I did with mine in '83 and have had it in there ever since.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
cougar1 said:

Hey sixt9coug,, You can convert an auto to a 4 spd. That's what I did with mine in '83 and have had it in there ever since.
yeah, i could, but i figure in the long run it would just be easier and cheaper to find one that already has a stick. seeing as i am gonna swap out the engine anyway, i could save some cash there by finding one that the owner may just think is a heap. hell, i remember that i could have gotten a 67 for $100 ( probably free ) when i was looking at Cougars the first time around. man it was beat. but it was a legit XR7 302 4bbl, but an auto. if i had the chance again, id probably go for it this time. needed a carb ( someone stole it ) fender, drivers door. err, the entire interior needed work ( there was a ton of crap in there ) and not much else. i was told it was running fine when parked. it just looked like hell. and seeing that it was a California car... it wasnt really rusty. just ugly ugly ugly. too bad it went to the great crusher though

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
by the way, whawould need to be changed to go from the auto to the 4 spd?? my dumbass actually saw a Toploader at the junkyard out of a 70 Cougar once. but i left it there can you say D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
314 Posts
WOW! That is just what I always pictured my car as, only I'm going to paint it Gaurdsman Blue, with Winbledon White stripe, scoop, and wing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
4 spd toploader is what's in mine. If you want to switch to a 4 spd, you need:

-clutch pedal
-cut down your brake pedal or get another
-pedal pads
-Z bar (equalizer bar)
-Push rod with busings
-frame bracket for Z bar, this is the frame side pivot
-Pivot which goes to engine
-lower push rod w/bushings (goes from Z bar to throw out fork)
-bell housing with throw out fork
-clutch + throw out bearing
-transmission
-shifter with linkages
-my original drive shaft fit right back in from auto to 4 spd
-cut your floor opening a little bigger for the shifter throw
-If your car has a console as mine did, then you also need a 4spd
top plate for the console. (65 or 66 stang also fits)
-pinion for the speedo may be different depending on # of teeth
-you have to jump the neutral switch wires coming out of the
firewall.

This is as complete as I can think of for now. Sorry for the long list.
Bert.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sweet ride!

Have to say that I am a little jealous. I just got a couple '67 Cat's last week along with the parts to make an Eliminator styled '67. It will be very similar to what you have. My Coug will be a total resto-mod. I began the dissasembly this past week and I will begin the body work this month. Congrats on your new toy, hope you enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts