Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been hunting for a Cougar to build a all around performance car for a while. Two weeks ago Tuesday, my son found a 1969 standard Cougar on our local Craigslist. It was advertised as a one owner car with just 16,632 original miles. We didn't have a chance to look at it until that Thursday afternoon. It was being sold at a small auto repair shop for the nephew of the original owner who had passed away 2 years ago. The nephew had kept his aunt's car, but not really used it, the plates had not been renewed since 2010.

The shop guys were very helpful and easy to deal with. They put it on their rack and let us check out the underside. I negotiated with the young guy from the shop and we made the deal at a fair price substantially down from the asking price. I got the impression they had a lot of tire kickers come by and waste their time.

For an Illinois car it is spectacularly solid, supporting the claim of low mileage. The underside of the doors are great, no rust blisters on any body panel including the inner fender overlaps of the shock towers. The rear frame rails are silvery, they look like they were galvanized. Another unusual thing was that the shock towers were not torched for upper control arm grease fittings like every other one I've ever seen. The sides of the car have been painted in the original Medium Blue Metallic, but the hood, cowl and trunk were left alone. Its far from perfect, it has a few small dents and the pot metal has pits, but its a really nice old car. The interior is a black vinyl base style and is in amazing condition as is the original vinyl top. The car drives like a new "old" car and it is very original.

Option-wise, it has a 351W 2bbl, automatic, power steering, power disc brakes, console, AM radio, headrests, black vinyl top, remote mirror and deluxe wheel covers. I have the original title, license applied for, order paperwork, warranty card, tax document, a good size chunk of the window sticker and a beautiful build sheet. She bought the car December 19, 1968 at Kronon Lincoln Mercury at 4330 W Irving Park Road in Chicago. It still has the dealer sticker from Kronon which says "Lincoln, Mercury, Cougar". She traded in a 1956 Ford Victoria 2 door hardtop on the Cougar. Until the nephew took it home it lived its whole life 4 blocks from Wrigley Field.

The last picture shows it with our '62 Grand Prix at our town's summer festival's car show. They look good together don't they?

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Very nice clean car from Chicago life . She must have just used it for specialty her self .

·
Registered
945 Posts
Congrats on the find :beer:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks great - a few dents/dings, but no rot out from the looks of it.......sweet

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's great to see that very nice, clean, original cars like this are still out there -- what a wonderful find!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts