Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for the last few months I have been thinking about putting a little nitrous kit on the 302. I figure with 8.0.1 compression, it's begging for nitrous or a supercharger. I am planning on a 100 shot. What do you guys think? It's a real healthy motor, so what do you guys think, do you think I should spray it? Think 100 is too much?

As soon as my ankle heals, I planned on putting it on (couple weeks).

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Chris
a 10 shot should be plentiful for it.But question do you have to upgrade the fuel flow n the spark to make the nitrous work properly?.I think the nitrous would help that 302 give it a size 9 shoe from a size 6 for a swift kit in the butt for that car lol..
thanks
pat
1970 standard convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
damn my spelling n typing stinks as of late i meant 100 shot

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a strong electric fuel pump, and all MSD on the car, so I think that should be fine.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The problem with Nitrous...

The problem with Nitrous is that it is very inconsistant.

The bottle pressure varies greatly with temperature, and that causes great variations in the actual jetting requirements. Yes, I know they have regulators, but they really don't work too well. Then when the bottle gets down below 1/2 level, you don't get the 'push' you need from the bottle end, and then your car will be running rich since you have to also add more fuel in with the Nitrous. Then there's the hassle of running out just when you need it, the hassle of finding a place to get your bottle filled, the timing requirements for on- and off-Nitrous are different... It is just a PITA. That's why you don't see too many competitive racers using it, even fewer street/strip cars.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
My thoughts on N2O

Well I have been running my cat on gas off and on since '87. I love it. I currently am running it on my '70 with a windsor in it.

I run a Cheater system set at 125HP. I use O2 sensors to warn me of impending problems. I have a separate feed that goes from the tank up the frame rail to the motor just for the nitrous system so I won't, well try not to, lean it out.

Bottle pressure is noticeable. The last 4 lbs in the bottle just don't hit hard. So I save it and reuse it. That way I'm doing approx 6 lb refills. Oh, and yes, I have my own home filling station because you never know when you need some gas. I keep a second bottle handy too.

I will warn you it's quite addicting. You'll become an addict. Your car will love you...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nitrous

If your motor has cast or hypereutectic (spelling) pistons, I would be wary of nitrous oxide. I have heard horror stories of countless 5.0 stang owners thinking they can just bolt on a nitrous kit and go drag racing only to have the pistons come apart under load. I believe you probably need to run a good forged piston to use the gas. In fact if you go to some of the piston manufacturer websites, they will warn against the use of nitrous with anything less than a forged piston.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really.... well thank you, looks like another thing I will have to look into before I buy nitrous... thanks Paul!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
NOS!=HIGH PRESSURE!

I have a friend near Dallas Tx. who is one of those brainy types (!) that I have known for years, who told me I should pass this info to you about the facts of N20... NOS is a fuel additive that acts as a volitile(sp?) expansion agent when combined with a fuel and combusted under compression.
Heat and stress are byproducts of the containment of the energy released in controlled fashion when (hot) fuel is used to make a propulsion. The forged pistons are known to be the best for this type of application. This does not mean they are the only ones that will work, even if only for a short time.
an old sayingl; lean is mean, but lean is expensive...
NOS is very popular in Dallas, but people who exceed the manufactures recomendations usually do not keep the same cars for very long...

The Math is very important for this subject,-my $.02 worth
:1poke:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Nitrous AIN'T bad

cmpcpro said:
Why would my car love me lol? Its bad for the engine.
I guess I missed something. How did you arrive at the *fact* that nitrous is bad? Talk with those who RUN nitrous -- not those who TALK ABOUT nitrous.

Have a chat with NOS, Nitrous Express, Edelbrock. They have some good info on their websites.

I will admit my motor is built to the hilt so it can handle but I would never boldly state that nitrous is bad.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really?! I was told that if you use nitrous your engine will not last as long, is that false? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Nitrous can be applied safely.
Nitrous can also be applied dangerously.
The aftermarket people that dfwcatsclub has mentioned have all done extensive research and have provided quite an aftermarket selection for us to choose from (also there's Nitrous Works, and several others - most of the big aftermarket companies have something). In the early days of nitrous, the automotive community didn't necessarily understand how nitrous made so much power, and thus many engines got "converted" into scrap iron/steel. Additionally, those of us who love our v8s crave MORE POWER, and the power gained from nitrous comes too easily, so we quickly fall into the trap of MORE MORE MORE.
Be conservative, don't use it at every stoplight, and keep your redline consistent or reduce it a bit (nitrous makes your engine want to pull a few more RPM than it would otherwise), and you'll probably be ok.
One of these companies (Edelbrock I think, but I'm not sure) makes a progressive N2O system, allowing you to gradually apply the nitrous power so you don't lose traction, and it's also easier on your drivetrain.
HOT ROD magazine a year or two ago TRIED to grenade a small-block Mopar with Nitrous and they COULDN'T! Of course, if your engine is just about ready to go anyway, it'll go.
radcat - I'd like a copy of that article too, if you don't mind. [email protected]

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yeah but that Hot Rod article had flaws... the engine couldnt kill itself because of ignition problems.... if i remember it was called Bottle Bomb or something to that effect. they eventually burned a hole in a piston i think though.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
That's true, but it still made several passes under full throttle (didn't make us of ALL 125 hp but still a significant increase). You're right though, keep me honest. It was only after they made several mods and increased power that it gave up, and even then it wasn't the spectacular explosion they were hoping for... I think they just eventually lost compression cause they destroyed their rings or something, or maybe they burned a valve?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wait.. i remember now.. there wasnt a need for " a 50lbs bag of speedy dry and a flak jacket " but it burned through the top of the piston to the top ring land or something.. and it blew all teh compression into the crankcase. still ran though but it was finished

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
that sounds right.
sixt9coug, tell me that doesn't sound like fun to you... :aug2: :devil: :flamer: :ylsup: :chain: :evil:
'course, I'd rather destroy a mouse (they're so cheap and plentiful, why not?)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So anyway, cmpcpro, sixt9coug and I have gotten off the subject.
As you have probably gathered by now, nitrous CAN be bad, but if you're smart and responsible about it, it can be a nice addition. I've HEARD that you may want a cam with more exhaust lift/duration than normal to aid the additional airflow, I know one of the big manufacturers (I'm thinking Crane) makes a Nitrous cam... of course, I only talk about nitrous, that's better information from someone who has actually run nitrous! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts