Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I figured since I am starting all of this then I should probably do a build thread. I started this swap two weeks ago and have already ordered the short block direct from Ford Racing Parts. I decided to contruct my own complete engine since I wanted to go for a more customized package. I ordered a set of AFR 205 heads to place on the beast and have yet to order a transmission and rear gears. I am pretty sure I am going to increase my rear gears from 4.10 to 3.60 since I would like to make this a more desireable highway car. The transmission is going to be a 4R70W(at least liely to be) with the EZ-TCU and TPS from TCI. I am still a little put off by the cross member and shifter but I am told by AZCAT that these can be ordered directly from another guy on another site(vague:bloated:). I am "trying" to save as much money as possible, labor cost wise, so I opted to remove the engine myself. Once the block and parts show up at the shop(Blood Enterprises) then I will have the car towed down and start the transplant. I apparently need a new garage...500sq feet is NOT enough especially if you store a bunch of crap for your friends as well as your own. Pictures to follow. Cougar1.jpg Cougar2.jpg Cougar3.jpg Cougar4.jpg Cougar5.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple new things on order. I have decided to put AFR 205's with the 72cc chambers. These are race prepped heads and should make some huge power with the custom grind comp cam. The specs on that are 236 intake and 244 exhaust with .579 lift on 112 lobe seperation. I was going to go with a Barry Grant 825-850cfm Demon carb but apparently Barry Grant recently announced that they are going out of business. Soooo...a 850cfm Holley DP will probably be the carb of choice. Soon, hopefully, I will be able to get some pictures. The short block should be here next week and the heads a week or two after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Joe are you planning on making dyno runs with your engine? It would be kinda interesting to compare power curves and stuff. My 418 has afr 205s 58 cc, rpm air gap holley 750 dp street race 236 intake 252 exhaust 576 lift 110 lobe seperation

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
WOW, Barry Grant hits bad times. I thought something was funny, a few days ago I went to their site, and it said, " 2006 catalog now available" Last time I checked this is 2011.

I read tonight after checking with Goggle, that they are indeed gone. They did say Barry will be back doing something soon.

We will see, huh.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Joe are you planning on making dyno runs with your engine? It would be kinda interesting to compare power curves and stuff. My 418 has afr 205s 58 cc, rpm air gap holley 750 dp street race 236 intake 252 exhaust 576 lift 110 lobe seperation
I'm pretty sure I'll be doing dome dyno runs...after all, I'm getting this engine built at one of the only shops around that has an in ground. I just can't believe it takes so friggin long to get parts!!! 1.5 months for heads?? Really?? Ideally this should be putting out somewhere between 500-550hp and some serious low end torque. The only thing I am confused about is the builder opted to build this at around 9.8:1 CR when I specifically told them I wanted to push 550+. We'll have to see what this does...

Coolgar; you must not be running pump gas on that with the 58cc right?? I calculated my CR if I had used my older Trick Flow TW heads at 63cc and those would be up in the 11.1:1 CR. Not impossible on pump gas, but not really comfortable.

Yeah pretty crazy about Barry Grant...too bad really. I really wanted a Demon but won't take the chance with having no company to back it.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The only thing I am confused about is the builder opted to build this at around 9.8:1 CR when I specifically told them I wanted to push 550+. We'll have to see what this does...
Unless you're going to run 103+ octane and are a really sharp tuner, he's probably saving your bacon with the 9.8:1 comp. Parts do take a while when you order the racy stuff, rather than run of the mill hot rod parts.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Looks like a good combo, it should make some decent power. By the way, Holley now makes a TPS adapter for their carbs that simplifies running a 4R70....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Cougarshaman, I just ran the numbers through my desktop dyno, keep in mind this is only a generic figure because I don't know the rest of the combo....484hp at 5000, 544tq at 4000...The VE and manifold pressure numbers don't look all that good and power is very peaky...by comparison my buddies 392 with the same heads and carb you have, smaller cam and tighter lobe sep makes 520 and 521 respectively. Keep in mind everything is up the rpm band another 1000 rpm. Looks like you could do better though. Compression ratio does not have as big effect on power as you'd think with that combo...I'd say you're good at 9.8.....keep in mind...just my opinion....

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A great combination. I currently have a 427W with AFR heads in my (HSR) vintage racer.
Won't turn much over 6500rpm but gets there quickly!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I am told by AZCAT that these can be ordered directly from another guy on another site(vague:bloated:).
Joe,

What do you want clarified regarding the 4R70W parts? I provided the sellers name, email address, and screen name. I also provided photos/cost of the item.

I suggest contacting the seller if you have further questions.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AZCAT, what I meant by "vague" was the way I was quoting the source..."another guy on another site." You have been absolutely critical in helping me get prepared for that swap and I thank you a ton for it!

RoadRacer68, did you run those numbers with my combination or Coolgars?

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea pump gas, pro power 418 kit 10.3: CR with 58 cc Just trying to get a handle on cam specs

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just as backup to Joe's post here and his 4R70W swap writeup, I have just ordered my crossmember from Mr. Persad. He has them already done and sitting on a shelf and it was $160 for me. I mentioned Joe's name in the original email to him and he seemed very fond of Joe and his thorough documentation of the swap. He is the CEO of Premier Generator Services, Inc., so I doubt he is willing to tarnish that reputation for business on a crossmember. Just wanted to post my experience thus far, I'll provide more specific info (pictures) when I get it.

Brief comment on gears, an explorer swap would put you on either side of your 3.60 goal (with the 3.55s or 3.73s). They came in 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10's.

As far as your build goes, good luck, looks like you are going to have one sick beast when it's done.

·
Registered
321 Posts
RoadRacer68, did you run those numbers with my combination or Coolgars?

I ran Cougarshaman's then bumped it against my buddies Fairlane, 392 with AFR 205's....

·
Registered
321 Posts
63668_479848959384_589974384_5696840_1913825_n.jpg

Speaking of Fairlane's...my buddy Johns road racer Fairlane at Infineon. 392, TKO 600, Maier Suspension. Now that the motor is sorted out thanks..Big thanks to Tom at FE Specialties in Sacramento...it's making approx 540. It sounds very healthy and snappy....Track day Saturday so we'll see!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just as backup to Joe's post here and his 4R70W swap writeup, I have just ordered my crossmember from Mr. Persad. He has them already done and sitting on a shelf and it was $160 for me. I mentioned Joe's name in the original email to him and he seemed very fond of Joe and his thorough documentation of the swap. He is the CEO of Premier Generator Services, Inc., so I doubt he is willing to tarnish that reputation for business on a crossmember. Just wanted to post my experience thus far, I'll provide more specific info (pictures) when I get it.

Brief comment on gears, an explorer swap would put you on either side of your 3.60 goal (with the 3.55s or 3.73s). They came in 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10's.

As far as your build goes, good luck, looks like you are going to have one sick beast when it's done.
Great! I am sure the cross members are tried and true pieces of art and I will mention both you two when I order from him. As far as the rear goes, I have a Nascar floater 9" setup in there right now but I just need to get the gearing correct. I was going to purchase 3.55 gears but the shop didn't have any...only 3.60's which I'm sure won't really make that much of a difference, especially with the 4R70W OD gear.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, while looking further into details, I noticed that the headers had been burning the power steering hoses and have now completely crumbled. I need new hoses and preferably the steel braided ones. What kits work?? I am looking around and there are just so many and I have no idea which ones will do the trick. Anything??

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
A great combination. I currently have a 427W with AFR heads in my (HSR) vintage racer.
Won't turn much over 6500rpm but gets there quickly!
I'd like to see some vid of that. I bet it drives out of the corners pretty hard.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so power steering hoses...any ideas?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts