Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to build a 1969 351/427w stroker with a pair of 1969 BOSS 302 heads, NOT cleveland heads, real c9ze's. does anybody know of any intake manifold that will fit this combo?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Please sell the real Boss heads to someone that can properly use them and find a modern alternative that will provide you better performance.. Please also refer to you engine as a Stroked 351W. 427s are FE big block engines.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
First LOL'ing at Ray. Second, not sure but I thought there were spacer plates available to adapt Boss 302 manifold to 351W width. Hold on, forget that (even if I am right). You just need a "Clevor" manifold. Those are or were available although I have no specific info to provide.

I think a 427 displacement engine might be a real good thing to put under Cleveland heads, use the port and valve sizes to their full advantage. However, you might have to get special pistons made so the valve reliefs would be in the right place.

In some ways, Ray is right though, the B302 heads are worth $$. You can do the same thing with a set of closed chamber 4V C heads with screw-in studs/guide plates and the water passage mod for W configuration is common/routine.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no offense mercougar67, but its a 427 cubic inch displacing 351w stroker, so...... 427w. and i definetly know how to properly use them, ANY way i see fit, just asking for help. the boss heads came off an ex drag car (ported, polished, 2.25/2.19 valves, etc) so i cant really use them on my boss 302 or even a 347, they couldnt make use of the flow potential from these heads like a big ci windsor, NA at least. i dont need another 351c, ive already got a built boss 351/408 in my capri. another reason (odd as it is) i would like to use these heads is they where built the same day as the block, trans and my car, all march 25th 1969. i cant justify spending 8-900$ on a stock 4bbl boss 302 intake and another 200$ plus for spacers etc. i know B&A makes some intakes, as well as the edelbrock e boss 351, and chi but they are for clevors, i dont know if the water ports are going to work with the b302s. unless somebody wants to trade my b302s for a pair of 429cj d0oe-r's, then this would fix everybodys issues lol

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Please sell the real Boss heads to someone that can properly use them and find a modern alternative that will provide you better performance.. Please also refer to you engine as a Stroked 351W. 427s are FE big block engines.
Sorry Ray, no offense, but you are wrong. 427 is the displacement, therefore making it NOTHING other than a 427. Since it is using a 351w block...than it makes it a 427w. I am getting very sick of this arguement. NOT ALL 427's ARE FE's!

no offense mercougar67, but its a 427 cubic inch displacing 351w stroker, so...... 427w. and i definetly know how to properly use them, ANY way i see fit, just asking for help. the boss heads came off an ex drag car (ported, polished, 2.25/2.19 valves, etc) so i cant really use them on my boss 302 or even a 347, they couldnt make use of the flow potential from these heads like a big ci windsor, NA at least. i dont need another 351c, ive already got a built boss 351/408 in my capri. another reason (odd as it is) i would like to use these heads is they where built the same day as the block, trans and my car, all march 25th 1969. i cant justify spending 8-900$ on a stock 4bbl boss 302 intake and another 200$ plus for spacers etc. i know B&A makes some intakes, as well as the edelbrock e boss 351, and chi but they are for clevors, i dont know if the water ports are going to work with the b302s. unless somebody wants to trade my b302s for a pair of 429cj d0oe-r's, then this would fix everybodys issues lol
I wish I knew more about this conversion, but don't they call that a yates??

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What do you call a stroked 302? Most people I know call it a 331 or 347, NOT a stroked 302.

I also call my stroked 351W a "393W". Just calling it a 'stroked 351W' doesn't tell anyone squat. What is the displacement now - 383, 393, 408, 418, 427? I draw the line at calling it a Boss though. If you used an aftermarket Dart block with Dart heads, what would you call it then -- a 427Dart? Chebby also made a 427. Caddy made 429s before Ford did.

Those 'purist types' that insist that only an FE can be called a 427 are living in the past. Get over it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What do you call a stroked 302? Most people I know call it a 331 or 347, NOT a stroked 302.

I also call my stroked 351W a "393W". Just calling it a 'stroked 351W' doesn't tell anyone squat. What is the displacement now - 383, 393, 408, 418, 427? I draw the line at calling it a Boss though. If you used an aftermarket Dart block with Dart heads, what would you call it then -- a 427Dart? Chebby also made a 427. Caddy made 429s before Ford did.

Those 'purist types' that insist that only an FE can be called a 427 are living in the past. Get over it.
You are square on Cougrrcj! However you actually would call a Dart block 427 a "Dart 427". I have heard many of people refer to them as such. I think the reason why is they are not a automotive manufacturer...they are a parts manufacturer, so to call them a Ford is not technically correct. Although...who really cares. However, you can call the Boss 351w block that is stroked to 427ci a "Boss 427" because that is what they are. In fact, they actually have a boss 427 serial#. After all, Ford themself is who branded the Boss, so the way I think of it is that they are the only ones who can really make it "real".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts