Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice , im trying to get some stuff ready to go for my next project car that im hoping to work on in a couple month

i was origionally looking at getting the 428 cobra jet engine , but those seem pretty expensive so my other thought was to bore out an engine to a 427 or 428 , ive heard alot of people using the windsor engine for boring out , i guess due to the fact its a cheaper engine

Im hoping to get around 400 to 500 hp , and so i didnt know how much i can safely bore out a 351 that can still be powerful but not worry about future issues with the block

Im not to familiar with the fact of getting more power , i guess other then boring out is there any other options to get close to the hp im hoping for , ive heard some do something with the stroker and that will give more hp

I got a guy who builds engines , so im hoping he will give me a good deal on boring out considering he does it out of the garage of his house

also if i did bore out then should i probably get performance parts like the pistons , rings , crank ect

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just search "windsor stroker" and you'll find everything you need to know.

·
Registered
332 Posts
without sleeving the 351w 4.060" is about as far as you go on the bore. The 351w, clevlands and modifieds are on a 4.375" bore centers. Some people have sleeved them to 4.125" most of the time when people get the 427 its mostly stroke. I would go with a more conservetive 4.030 bore and a 4" inch stroke it makes a around a 408 cid. The 392 stroker kits go together real nice they have a 3.85" stroke.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I have a 393W (351W bored to 4.030 and stroked to 3.85 inches) in my '89 Crown Vic. In all honesty, the 408 is a better stroker than a 393, but I tried to go cheap (and ended up spending more - go figure!) With a moderate hydraulic retrofit roller cam (comp cams XR-276RF-HR), and only 9.4:1 compression, my motor is putting out around 475hp at the crank and 380 to the rear wheels. That's about as much as you'd want to push a stock Windsor block anyway. You'll also need good cylinder heads to take advantage of the bigger cubes.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So what the guys are saying that may not be exactly clear is that no one bores out an engine for displacement, only to clean the bores (although doing this does give a small/modest increase in displacement, rule thumb being about 5 CI for a .030" overbore on a 350 CI class engine). Real increases in displacement are made by stroking the engine, which involves a crank with a longer stroke and pistons and usually rods to go with the crank.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The longest common conecting rod for these stroker kits are 6.2" once you go over 3.64" stroke you start decreasing your rod to stroke ratio. There are many reason to keep with a higher rod to stroke ratio, A 3.85" stroke with a 6.2" rod is a 1.61:1 a 4" stroke with a 6.2" is a 1.55:1 A stock 351 has a 1.7:1 rod to stroke ratio. fms 392 stroker has a 1.54:1 rod to stroke ratio they did it cheaply. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
im gonna stroke a 351 w to a 393 one day.... hopfully

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doing some reasearch i can understand it a little more with the hole stroker kit and everything , and i can save a bit of money with my mechanic buddy but like i said in the beginning of my post was that i was looking at getting the 428 which i know is the cobra jet so i probably wont be completely cheap but im trying to think more about just saving a little more money

versus tearing apart a good old engine just wait till i get the correct 428 cobra jet , also i had another question a guy at work was referring to blueprinting the engine and also the crankshaft and im kinda familiar with it but he figured it would help alot whenever i would sell the car to show that it was blueprinted

any idea on a blueprinted engine would add to the value potentially or would it not make a huge difference

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Doing some reasearch i can understand it a little more with the hole stroker kit and everything , and i can save a bit of money with my mechanic buddy but like i said in the beginning of my post was that i was looking at getting the 428 which i know is the cobra jet so i probably wont be completely cheap but im trying to think more about just saving a little more money

versus tearing apart a good old engine just wait till i get the correct 428 cobra jet , also i had another question a guy at work was referring to blueprinting the engine and also the crankshaft and im kinda familiar with it but he figured it would help alot whenever i would sell the car to show that it was blueprinted

any idea on a blueprinted engine would add to the value potentially or would it not make a huge difference
The obvious choice for a big cube engine for your car is the Lima family of engines, especially since the 429 version was available in your car. The 460 would be a great choice and easy to get and not expensive either. Check it out!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the engine is not for my current car its for my next project which will probably not be a mercury but a ford but same thing right

was actually looking at buying a 67 fastback and build the eleanor , and thats why i was looking into the 428 cobra jet but they seemed kinda pricey for some , but ive seen some others around $4,000 which seems like a decent price

I didnt even know about the 460 motor , any idea of how much hp roughly , theres even one on ebay with engine and trans for $2,000 not sure if that is a good price or its cheap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts