Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to start putting my son's 68 cougar back together. We got the engine running and we can hear a vacuum leak coming from the power booster under the dash. When we slightly activate the brake pedal the leak seems to stop. When we put the booster together, I noticed there was a push rod that seemed to have an adjustment to it. I was wondering if the booster has a leak or I need to take it back off and extend the push rod. We have disc fronts and drum rears. I also tested the check valve on the booster. I can not blow air into it, but I can suck away with no resistance. Please respond.
Jeremy's Dad.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I believe the diaphram in the booster may be old and dried out, could be cracked and leaking. I had my son's '67 doing that and took the booster in to be rebuilt and it stopped making that hissing sound. After the rebuild, the brakes would put you thru the winshield, so I had to take the car back and have them adjust it.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
You need a rebuild... We have them for $208 with an exchange. Beware of $150 rebuilds from your auto parts store, they are generally poor quality and made from a mis-match of parts.

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1968 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Midland Power Brake Booster with Core Charge - Rebuilt
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 1000067-CoreCharge
Price:$358.85

Price includes $150 Refundable Core Charge. The Midland booster was used in 1967-68 and has better stopping capability than the 1969-70 Bendix . . .

</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
AND that rod is adjustable, you need to follow the manual when you replace the stuff, it's kinda tricky adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts