Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent an email to MPBrakes asked them to give me an idea of what booster/power brake master cylinder I will need for my 4 wheel disc brake conversion. The guy asked me about the valvecover clearance on the 428. (I will have the snake CJ covers)
Since I don't have the engine yet here in Hungary I can not give him any exact measurements. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do the FE bigblock Cougars have offset booster?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The booster is 61/2" long and 7" across, with master cylinder attached it is 131/2 total length. You will have to stay with a booster that is aprox. that size or you will have clearance problems. No to the offset booster

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
6 1/2" and 13 1/2" Carlton meant to say, 61/2 and 131/2 would be pretty big :buck:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
All Cougars, or 69/70 at least (what I know about) use the standard booster and MC, no offset. Engine size does not make a difference for this particular item.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Guys,
These are the measurements for that booster/MC combo that the MPB guy would recommend:
The booster is 7-5/8 inches (19.3675 cm) in diameter. Booster length is 7 inches (17.78cm) . Total length (booster + master cylinder) is 14-1/4 inches (36.195 cm).
There is no way to use this? I need something better than the factory for the 4 disc setup. :(

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thank you Guys,
These are the measurements for that booster/MC combo that the MPB guy would recommend:
The booster is 7-5/8 inches (19.3675 cm) in diameter. Booster length is 7 inches (17.78cm) . Total length (booster + master cylinder) is 14-1/4 inches (36.195 cm).
There is no way to use this? I need something better than the factory for the 4 disc setup. :(
I think Carlton (towcat) answered your question with his original response. If it is too big, it is too big, unless you want to notch your shock tower...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Carlton (towcat) answered your question with his original response. If it is too big, it is too big, unless you want to notch your shock tower...
Yes he answered. Probably I have to go with manual brake. I wanted to avoid this thing...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes he answered. Probably I have to go with manual brake. I wanted to avoid this thing...
I really do not understand why you would have to do that, 69/70 Cougar's with 428 (and small blocks too) came with Bendix booster and fit fine with the master.

If it is 4 wheel disc that is messing you up, Scott Drake sells a stock appearing cylinder that is advertised to work with 4 wheel disc (even though the rear reservoir is small like a disc/drum MC). I am relatively sure the stock disc/drum MC will work fine for disc/disc becuase they no longer put residual valves in the rear circuit of the MC. Poke arond at Mustang Steve's site and especially the forum and you will find the same thing I did. There are also later model MC's for 4 wheel disc that will work/fit with a factory booster, 2000 Mustang V6 is one of the possibilities if I recall correctly. You will have to make new lines though.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes,the 4 wheel disc make me a headache.
Thanks, I am going to check that site.

Regards
Balazs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts