Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again I recently bougt a bunch of body parts because my cougars wrecked and im sanding the fender and was wondering whats the best rust prrevention on bare steel im taking my car down to the metaL and inside the doors its in good condition I just want something to make it last I dont have alot to spend tho?? Thanks
Aaron:wave:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Du pont vari prime is a good self etching prime for bare metal and is a good base to start with before adding sanding primer or painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
what i've found is primer it's self doesn't protect from rust without a sealer. i don't know your time frame nor conditions but a sem primer is the way to begin. lots of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best thing to use on the metal of the exterior body panels would be a quality Epoxy Primer. This will cover and lock out any moisture. Then you would want to body work over that and then recoat any areas where you break back through to metal when body working. Then you would move onto your sanding primers.

For all hidden areas, like jambs, I have used POR 15. Coat the bare metal with the Metal Ready and then with POR 15. When the POR 15 is still tacky (just before it dries hard) lightly coat it with primer. Just rattle can primer is fine for this. What this does is allows the primer to fuse to the POR 15 and gives a nice base for more primers to be applied over it. Then cover with epoxy primer and sanding primer. These areas usually never need body work.

That is what I did with my '68 and it worked great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts