Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna weld in my 67 replacement passenger quarter via lap weld. Just received an Eastwood's catalog and was wondering if anyone's had good/bad/other stories to tell regarding body soldering. I'm thinking that would be the best approach, instead of going the bondo route. They used this method with the the quarter-to-top, right? Please share any experiences. Thanks, Eric.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eric,

Yes, that is how the sail panel to roof seams were done. Can't say I have heard of anyone leading patched panel seams but it certainly is possible. However, I am guessing the learning curve might be pretty steep, I have done a lot of soldering over the years (as a hands-on EE and have done a fair amount of plumbing too) and getting a panel joint well "tinned" and keeping the heat right (too hot and warpage will occur, too cold and the lead will not flow/adhere) could prove quite challenging in my estimation.

Having said that, I have no practical experience to lend.

Why do you feel that plastic is not a good way to go? Works for 99.9% of the people/work out there.

Good luck in any case and let us know what you decide/how you make out.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
524 Posts
Plastic is the way to go! Lead is for those old cigar puff'in guys that forgot more about body work and how to spread any filler than we will ever know! besides with plastic, if you screw up, its alot easier to correct I would think. Also if done properly will never be seen and last for years!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
prior to bondo , i can rember my brother-in-law sprayin lead on the roof of a 59 impalla that they spliced together--sort of a propane powered gun with shop air hooked to it and a melting tub on top---left a finish like rough sand paper
doctordesoto

1 - 4 of 4 Posts