Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've found just about all the repair parts I need for my 69 XR-7 that I need, such as floor pans, headliner, carpet etc.. One thing I really need is something for the rear quarter panels. On the left side the arch above the wheel well is pretty bad, and the lower rear part of the left rear quarter is bad too. Now the right side has rust in the same two spots, but it's alot worse. I feel like I can get the rust out of the left side and fill it in (bondo). I saw rear quarter skins in a catalog for $189, but I want to do the work myself and I feel like that's too much cutting for me to do. Does anyone sell patches for over the wheel wells and the bottom of the rear quarters??

Sorry I know I've asked this before but I've yet to see anyone that sold patch panels or else I would have ordered them!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I think Ray Harwood http://mercurycougar.net/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=15
sells patch panels. my question is have you done panel replacement? it isnt just put some metal up there and then buzz box it on. there is allot that goes into body repair especailly welding in body patch panels. doing floor pans and such are great practice since if you mess up no one will see it but outside compound curve panels really need an experienced body man to at least guide you doing it if you want to do it yourself (which i do applaud) but supervision is a must. now if your experienced just ignore everything i just said since you will already know all this, just i have had to repair way to many guys Mistakes should we say that think how hard is it to weld in a peice of metal i did it in shop class in high school so i know how to weld. then they bring me in the panel to fix after its warped and wrinkled and it costs them allot more especially if i have to fabricate a new one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice and lead on the patch panels. I am a mechanic and have a few buddies that weld and do body work. Actually a few of them have done some extensive bodywork so I think I'll be able to get alot of help/advice!

·
Registered
889 Posts
panels

When I start dicing my standard up around the wheel wells its looks ok on both sides.if they lok ok do you wamt them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts