Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted before, 68 Kat had a little encounter with the car in front of her a couple of weeks ago.

I'm getting close to the emotional breakthrough of being able to start the repair work. Since it's insured, I'm looking for a quality repair shop in the Minneapolis area or - if they're good - in MN.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am also considering doing the body work myself and using parts that Logan was kind enough to steer me towards. That would still leave me with needing the paint work done.

The front bumper, grille and driver side fender are the affected parts...

Ken

·
Registered
889 Posts
get referals

I would get some referals and look at some otheir work first.If you go to a classic resto. shop your looking a about 50-70 bucks an hour you go to some of these shop they look like rabid dogs.If you can do it your self do that. And give it t them to paint when your done.Great winter project.What only about 2 month crusin left up there?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I don't think so. Looking at the pics you posted, I'd say bumper, headlight assy and fender extension. You can work the fender back to life.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Get referrals - lot's of them. If a quote is too good to be true, it probably is.
It's been my personal experience through the years that most body shops - to put it nicely - "create a vacuum". It seems that every guy with a spatula and a bucket of Bondo thinks he's a body man. Shop carefully and expect to pay. And stay away from "insurance" shops. They just want the fast buck. I had my best luck asking around at cruise nights, show and shines, etc.
Also, get a quote in writing outlining what will be done and how much it will cost as well as when the work will begin and a timeframe for completion. If you supply a part, get receipts from the shop showing that you gave it to them.
Most states have laws that protect the consumer from having to pay for unauthorized work or excessive cost overruns. It is up to them to tell you what it needs and how much it will cost. And do not pay until you are satisfied.
I have fallen victim as have many of my friends over the years. I have seen cars sit for over a year because the shop had other "quick" jobs to do after the project was started. The last body shop mine was in painted under the hood gloss black instead of satin and lost my turn signal sequencer when they sealed the trunk seams! And sadly enough, this guy was a buddy that I have known and recommended for over 20 years. He has found that there is more money to be made bolting fenders onto Acuras for Allstate.:angryfi: So after reimbursing me for the parts he told me that he is only taking insurance jobs or "jobs that can be done over a weekend" from now on. Man, was I shocked. This guy can be a real artist with sheet metal and fiberglass but he's tired of doing it.
Enough venting from me - bottom line: Look very carefully. Don't be in a hurry.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Logan...the fender is creased near the top and looks like it will be a job for someone other than me!!!

It's kinna hard to see in the pic but...

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...there's no one in MN other than me that checks this site?

I guess I should re-think the whole idea of starting a MN Cats club, eh? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts