Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave:First off I am in Aghanistan. I have been trying to find a shop to do the body work on my 67 standard. I am not a body guy and cannot weld. I have called several shops and they don't seem to be really interested in the cash work. I live near Lancaster (17602). Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hey Dave - yeah it's hard to get "body shops" to do restore work since it's more time consuming than your traditional fender bender menders and easy insurance money jobs. They like it quick and easy but who wouldn't I guess? So, you may need to look for the rare restoration type place. They aren't going to be cheap though. So you don't have any desire to buy a little mig and learn to DIY it? YOu would be money way ahead. Then you would have a welder to use for other stuff as time goes along! ;>) Just a thought....some community colleges have good classes to teach welding/body work for hobbyists - not just for tradesman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a small mig welder that my dad bought me while I have been away. I was even thinking about continuing my education from the mechanic side to the body side. I have put a request for info to Wyotech in Blairsville, PA. I did find a couple of places near me on the net that say they do. Either way if I am right it will cost me between 10-20K for my cougar. It is pretty solid from what I can tell. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Consider that an average paintjob (complete) right now is north of $5k (no body work - just paint) I'd say you could get the thing prepped and ready for paint if you do it yourself less than that and if you could paint it yourself, you could do it for under $600. Since you have the mig - you are already haslf way there - get a good grinder, and an air compressor with a DA sander and some other tools - you are well under a body shops restore price, but you are giving your own time which also has value if you want to consider that.

Since you can do the mechanical, you are miles ahead in the overall cost of having somebody do it! Having both skill sets will set you up very well!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dave, learning to use the mig is not that hard. Practice on some junk sheet metal. I learned how to mig weld by pratice and reading DIY books. I replaces floor pans, quarter panel patches, etc on a 67. The grinder will be your best friend for cleaning up crappy welds. As for paint and body work, I also taught myself how to do that by trial and error.Read and reserch. You just have to have confidence. BadCat is correct about tool puchase, you can screw up alot and still come out ahead in the end.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Amen brother Ray and brother Mike! :beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts