Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone bought a Blue Print crate engine from Summit? I am torn between their 331, 330HP/360TQ and the Ford Racing 302, 340HP.

The Blue Print engine is $700 less and comes with a warranty and dyno sheet certifying the #'s it makes.

The Ford Racing has forged pistons and rods, but I don't plan on adding power adders to the engine any time soon.

After reading the machine shop horror stories on here, I have decided it will be a turn key crate motor for my 67.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or........

For the same price as the Ford Racing, I can get a Blue Print 347 roller cam making 400HP/430TQ.........

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I have friends who've run the Summit ones for many seasons without any issues (not daily drivers though..?). We have used the Ford Racing ones in the past just because the price was close enough and we knew there wouldn't be any questionable parts. There are some Summit parts that I hear things about that aren't good so I would be less likely to commit until you get plenty of good feedback. Crate is the way to go in my book!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

I was always leaning towards the Ford Racing if I was going to buy a crate engine, but then saw the price on the Blue Print engines. I do think with the Ford Racing, you are getting what you pay for with the relatively small price increase.

Forged rods and pistons would lend themselves well to future upgrades if I planned on it.

After reading the thread for the 70 rat rod build and the ordeals with getting the heads back in proper order, that pretty much sealed the deal for me wanting a turn key, tested engine already assembled.

I don't know if I could have his patience when waiting for others to do what they said they would.....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, Mike battled that motor together for sure! Rarely can you save money on a DIY build these days because machine shops are so expensive. You can buy off the shelf cheaper than you could build the exact same motor for - so crates are typically the better buy unless you have friends who own machine shops! Let us know how it comes out for you....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts