Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blown exhaust manifold gasket [she did it at 120] any easy solutions, or does it have to come off to be replaced.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you have stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, you really don't need a gasket. If the car has headers, well, that can be more of a problem. Even on my cars with headers I don't bother using the gaskets. First I make sure that the header flange is absolutely straight and flat. File/grind as necessary. Then I apply a thin smear of high temperature silicone sealant, bolt the header up, and then let it cure for a day before starting engine. I rarely have any leakage at all, and any leaks will be minimal, and definately smaller than constantly blowing header gaskets.

Oops, the above is for the head/manifold gasket

If you are talking the donut gasket at the end of the cast iron exhaust manifold where the exhaust pipe hooks on, those rarely go bad. I only replace them when I replace the complete exhaust.

·
11,000 Posts
If we are talking exhaust manifold, you have to take the manifold off soon. If you drive it with a blown gasket for long it will crack.

Don't use gaskets or it will leak sooner or later. They never leak with no gaskets so long as the surfaces are clean and reasonably straight.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's got stock cast iron exhaust manifold, I'm posting a picture to show where she is blowing out air, could only find a pic of headers but you can get the idea, sometimes my description is a bit off, so posting a pic is best.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Unbolt exhaust manifold, then remove all traces of gasket then re-assemble without a gasket! As Royce and I have said, you really don't need a gasket there for stock manifolds. Ford never used them there from the factory!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
blown.....

Don't do 120!:D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
always has to be a Mommy Grundy somewhere, it was nice open road, in rural country, no car, no animals, no peole.

I am going to get you for this :D :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts