Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the thing,

i have a new steering wheel from grant (grant challenger )
http://grantproducts.com/products/view/12/

last week my horn cap fell "off" which resulted in waking up the whole neighbourhood.
not to bad though,

today the horn cap fell off again,this time i was not at home ,
when i came home smoke was coming out of the steering collum
and the horn + steering collumm were really hot.
lucky not to many damage !!

Only damage there is ,is that the wiperwashers are going on constantly now cause off the heat damage.....

anyone had the same problem with a horn cap ?
and what is the fix for this ???

Greets

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If it's like mine, the cap is held on by three nearly insignificant indentations on the edge of the cap which snap over the edge of the fiberboard (or whatever it is) horn ring part and is held in place by a spring. I'm sure some engineer was proud of having designed the most flimsy, minimalist manner imaginable to marginally secure a horn cap, but in the real world, it's junk. Try rotating the cap slightly before it snaps on to expose the indentations to a fresh area of fiberboard. Also, make sure the wires to the horn ring aren't rubbing against the edge of the fiberboard part- it's sharp and eventually cuts through the insulation on the wires creating a short.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i see grant hasnt improved any...i had one in my 77 chevy truck back in the mid 90s when i started driving. it held fine till i hit the horn button one day and it fell off into my lap. i never did get it to sit on there right, it always wanted to fall off at the most inopportune time... guess the worst one was sitting behind a cop car at a red light and it just popped off and went to the floor so i just honked and honked at the cop. i got a talking to about that.

but yes, its a tin can press fit on cardboard basically.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Chuck- I just put a Grant Signature Series in mine, and had no issues. Also, I had no "cardboard/fiberboard" piece. The install instructions on mine, showed the "spring" HAD to be snipped on "Ford" applications. Dunno if that will help you any, but, that was my experience......no issues!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts