Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy told me this was a 351 Windsor. Ive never seen a stamp like this, usually I see things like d7blahblahblah. This reads 77blahblah. Also I noticed on the top usually you would see a 351w stamp but not on this one. It has a made in Mexico stamp on the top. Ill post pic in a second

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That just tells us the year and what it was likely in - looks like a 77 motor from a full size sedan. You can differentiate the W from a 302 by the taller deck....easier to tell with the heads on - you can just see it rises above the intake about 1/4" rather then flush. I'm sure you coule measure it from the top of the lifter valley to the top of the deck - but I don't know what that measurement is off hand.....maybe somebody has that handy

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
That just tells us the year and what it was likely in - looks like a 77 motor from a full size sedan. You can differentiate the W from a 302 by the taller deck....easier to tell with the heads on - you can just see it rises above the intake about 1/4" rather then flush. I'm sure you coule measure it from the top of the lifter valley to the top of the deck - but I don't know what that measurement is off hand.....maybe somebody has that handy
One of the links in the search I posted says that block is likely an 87-92 in which case the 77 is pretty odd. So maybe not a 77 but definitely a newer 351W block from what I read.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Here ya go I found it - it's easier to have measurements than to eyeball it when you don't have side by side comparisons: the intake on a 302 is 9inches wide, on a 351w it is 11 inches wide
also the easiest way to tell them apart without any codes or measuring is to look at the distrubtor mouting surface on the block and compare it to the intake mounting surface. The surfaces are almost flush on the 289/302, but on the 351W, the intake surface is about 1.5" higher<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Batarchangel, can you take a closer look at the block again? Right underneath the "-AA" is the date code for when the block was cast. I'm having a hard time deciphering the date code. The first character looks like a "2", but I can't read the rest (it should be followed by a letter for the month, then a number (either 1 or 2 characters for the day). Here's an example of a date code, 2A1 or 8F22. Thanks John

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how do you get the year out of that? Month and day? Looks almost like 23B3or6. Ill have to actually look at the block when I get back to it

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Hmm, thats interesting. If it turns out to be 23B3 or 6 when you look at it again, maybe it's reversed for the 23rd day, the month of Feb (B) and the last number of the year (3 or 6). Of course it doesn't narrow it down to what decade unfortunately (19?3 or 19?6). John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Not bad at all on the price, IMO. Now, looking at pic 1 of 5 in post #12 it shows a casting number of D7OE. The D is the decade for the 1970s and looking at pic 5 of 5 in post #13 at 400%, it looks like an "8" in the date code. Perhaps that's the year for 1978 IMO. John

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
D7OE Heads are 77-later

Starting in '85, passenger car applications got E5SE heads, and '87-later 351W trucks got E7TE heads

Also some time in the early 80s, they went to a one-piece rear main seal at the rear of the crank... Your block looks to be 77-later as well, and I'm guessing the 23B (next digit looks like an '8' to me) so that'd make it a 23rd Feb 1978

How's the clue-detective do????

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
D7OE Heads are 77-later Your block looks to be 77-later as well, and I'm guessing the 23B (next digit looks like an '8' to me) so that'd make it a 23rd Feb 1978

How's the clue-detective do????
Milo, I have to agree with you about the date code. John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts