Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have bought a used "running" engine that I started to strip to check condition and found quite a bit of water in the oil. Motor had been standing for quite some time(inside a garage), so is possible that water would have got in in some shape or form. Based on wear in bores, on piston skirts, condition of con rod bearings and head gaskets, engine has not done a lot of mileage. Have noticed to few "brownish" marks in 1 or 2 of the bores(near the top half of each bore) and was wondering if this could be porosity? Have had older blocks(from the'60s) that were condemned by engineering shop years ago, but this is a newer block(mid to late '80's). Any advice aprreciated. Thx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Block porosity would highly unlikely in my opinion. What you are showing could simply be from condensation, not sure about the water in the oil though, how much did you find? Separated or mixed with the oil? (i.e. "milkshake" oil) The common oil in the water issues are usually a blown head gasket (you should be able to find/see this on the surfaces and/or old gaskets), less likely but another possibility would be a cracked head (but they usually don't crack for no reason, there would usually be signs of overheating in the engine that go with this).

Depending on how much water was in the oil, if very little, it may be nothing to be overly concerned about. Antifreeze or straight water?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil was definitely separated. Head gaskets show no sign of blowing. no signs of cracks on heads. no signs of overheating. enough water came out of engine to definitley be more than just mere condensation in the engine

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I doubt it is porous. Somehow, somewhere, it got in there by a crack, gasket leak, somebody doing somehting they shouldn't. How did you come by it? Could they have got it in there by replacing an intake/head gasket, before dumping it on you? My feeling is they couldn't figure out and passed the buck. Check the heads/deck for true before you commit any $ to it. Also look very carfully on the back side of the head where the intake bolts go through. If they put one that was to long in some of them I guarntee they blew the back of it out....and voila water passage.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If it's a 289/302/351W the timing over might be leaking through the gaskets or through an elctrolysis hole.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Check the heads between the valve seats for cracks as well. They will open with increased engine heat and be hard to spot when cold without a magnaflux or glass.

Those are the usual culprits though. Intake bolt, t cover, crack somewhere, or intake/head gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts