Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've read every post here on power steering, at least those within the past few years, and I haven't been able to find the answer to my question. I swapped out my old power steering lines for a big block setup. Started the car up and after a minute the steering wheel started vibrating violent left to right. I then read a bunch of threads and figured that it was because I needed to bleed the system. I started it back up, let it get warm and then started turning the wheel from lock to lock, the only thing is that once it hits one side it auto turns itself to the other side and continues this pattern until I shut the car off. I have the dipstick off the pump and it's shooting fluid out and making a mess. The longest I've let it go on like this is 5 minutes but it doesn't seem to want to stop. Is this normal?

FYI, I've quadruple checked that the lines are in correctly. I'd read that you can get the lines from the ram to the control valve switched and it might do this but I am 99.9% sure they are in correctly...I installed them per my 68 Ford/Mercury shop manual.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You are 99.9% wrong. The lines between the control valve and the ram are reversed. No amount of bleeding or air will cause what you describe, but reversing the lines will do it every time. Be careful, you can easily break a finger once it starts doing that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will say I'm glad I didn't say 100%. Everything I've read online and in the manual says that these 2 hoses should run parallel, which is the way they are in now. I guess I have something to do in the morning and see what happens.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe the lines cross, mine do (creating an x) otherwise control valve issues. It's pressure thats creating the problem. Do a quick line swap.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Not sure if this picture helps out or not

Now that's just disgustinlgy clean! Throw some oil on it so I don't feel so bad!.... ;>)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The hoses are connected correctly in the picture posted. Here is one of the hoses on my car:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What is that orange and black canister buried in there??? I thought Motorcraft was white...:evil:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
LOL guys, yep it's a Fram, I had it in the cabinet and decided it was good enough for initial engine start up. It and the oil will be changed before the trek to Carlisle. Thanks for the razz/reminder!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to take so long in getting back to this thread. The picture helped out a lot. So now my lines are crossed and the power steering works...so I was 99.9% wrong, gotta love it! So now I have another question. The car runs well, especially since it hadn't been run in a year. I'm struggling though to figure out why it hesitates when I give it gas to get up and go from a stop or roll. When I floor it while going it gets up and moves...but when doing this from still/slow it feels like it wants to choke itself. I'm playing with the Edelbrock carburetor settings but starting to wonder if it is vacuum related. Any hints as to what direction I should head?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Could also be that the timing is not quite ahead far enough?

·
11,000 Posts
Ditto.....hesitation is usually an indication the timing is off, either set wrong or the distributor has problems.

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
I'm in the middle of making repairs to my 67 power steering hoses.
I took pictures after I disconnected the first line from the control valve. I wish I would have taken one before that.
Getting more and more confused!!! Is it correct to say the lower connection on the ram goes to the lower connection
of the control valve? And the upper connections go together? 1st pix.jpg

going to sleep on it for now.....thanks for your help.
Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim, Did you get it figured out? I can crawl under mine and take a pic if you need it. I'm thinking that was my logic when I was putting mine back together, and that's what it sounded like the shop manual was saying, but then I had to switch them because it was wrong. Anyways, let me know.

Royce, I set the timing to 0 a couple of years ago, it's been sitting a lot since then so don't know how it would change. Also, the distributor is original to the car...I've been thinking of getting a new one but don't have any money right now for that...maybe some day!

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
klenzd,
I just hooked up the first line to the valve. Top to top and bottom to bottom is what I'm
going to do. after they are connected they will look like they are crossed. Hope I am correct!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts