Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this? My body shop wants to sandblast and powder coat these parts. Good idea? Bad idea? Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have had 100% of my external trim black power coated. The complete headlight and grill assemblies included. this is for a black 67. The place that did mine built a support for the headlight bucket grill work to prevent heat sag.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Only if the use a low temp powder. Normal powder heat requirements will make them warp and sag. I have a set of tail light bezels that are junk because of this.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, sounds like there has been mixed results in doing it.....I'd definitey build some type of jig to supprt them vertically and horizontally

letroll did you p[ost any close up pics of them? I'd like to see how it looks on and off the car...?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
soda blastig works great---we powdered the grills face down and using the finger of choise , just wiped off the powder on the grill bar face---no mask lines this way--

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I sent an email to my body guy telling him of the risks. I told him if he didn't want to risk having to replace them if he ruined them, then to just leave them and I would take care of that detail after I get the car back. He had also mentioned sand blasting them and I told him that was a bad idea too, that if he was going to blast them to use a soda blaster. I'm also on the fence with regard to whether I want to completely black them out or leave the vertical chrome striping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts