·
Registered
428 Posts
VIN:
8 = model year: 1968
F = assembly plant: Dearborn, MI
93 = XR7 2 Door Hardtop (bucket seats)
F = Engine: 302 cid 2V
504059 = Consecutive unit number (mercury starts at 500000 so yours is the 4059th mercury at Dearborn in model year 1968)

Misc vehicle data:
65B = body type: XR7 2 door hardtop (bucket seats)
R =exterior color: Augusta Green Poly
6f = interior trim: Sadde vinyl (Decor group)

Not exactly sure about the following:
5 = axle code: 3.00 : 1
37 = DSO: Buffalo

No idea what the "Black" is all about.

Good luck,
Matthijs

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Pelle,
The word "BLACK" is the color of the Vinyl roof. The rest of the "Buck tag" decodes as;
8F93F504054
8= 1968 model year
F= built in the Dearborn plant
93= XR7 HT.
F= 302 2V V8
504054=4054 th unit(not nessisarly all built in order)
65B=XR7 HT bucket seats
R=Augusta Rotation number, in plant use
6F=XR7 saddle leather interior
Black= Vinyl roof color.

The door plate has some numbers on it that are not on the body buck plate, Things like DSO, Trans and axle. This sounds like a fairly basic car but in a nice color combo. Neal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your help guys.
I just bought the car and since I´m a newbie on these kind of things, I would also like to know what "bucket seats" are and what "DSO" means.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pelle,

If I'm correct then "Bucket seats" are separate seats for driver & passenger without headrests (at least that is what mine look like ;) )
D.S.O. is some kind of district code where the car was ordered. Not sure what the abbreviation stands for though.
I'm sure there's somebody here who does.
Congrats on the car.
No matter what people here might say, it is NOT a basic car, it's still better then every non Cougar :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Golf00 discribed the bucket seats well. As for D.S.O. it means District Sales Office. Thats the sales office that places the order. With that info you have some idea as to were the car was sold new. At least the regon. As to being a "basic" car, I didn't mean anything ooffinceive here. Just that it didn't have many options. many options show on the Buck tag. I have some buck tags from cars I've parted out thet have 4 full lines of codes. This is neet stuff to look for on our old cars. I atached a pic of some of the buck tags I have from long gone cougars. Neal

·
Registered
53 Posts
On the 67 I had, I found it attached to the frame close to the radiator on the passenger side. Lift the hood and look along the frame where the radiator is attached. Mine was painted black and held on with a screw.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
If your 67 has one its on the core support above the pasingers side headlight. They were not used ealy in yhr year. Also 68 & 69 Cougars built in San Jose did not get them. It's just a Ford thing.

·
Registered
794 Posts
mine must not have had one. I disassembled/repainted the entire underhood and light assy's. Didnt find one. My 67 is also an early san jose car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts