Black Cherry i like a lot
But Ginger has grown on me

I need advice...lol

PLMK
P.S. remember it has a 3/4 vinyl ginger roof

·
Registered
70 Posts
i think that ginger is okay and iv never seen it on a cougar but i do think black cherry would look better but it all comes down to what you think looks better

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you like the black cherry best I say go for it!!! Us guys with regular cougars & xr7's don't really need to be as concerned with originality as a guy with a GTE or Eliminator. Our cars are nice but lets face it they are not rare so have fun and enjoy your car. Tailor it to fit your needs or your idea of what the factory should have done. For me enjoying my car is the most important thing, the fact that I am the only one around that drive a 70 cougar helps me enjoy it even more.
John
wvcat:D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dave, hope I dont spoil your plans here, but get it running better first before cosmetic. Brakes, steering, suspension, etc. then bodywork and paint. Get it running and safe before making it pretty, so every time you put the key in, it will start and be hassle free. Nothing worse then hoping into a beautiful car and it doesnt start, 'nuff said.

Rick

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hated the Ginger on my 70 when I first got it. Now I'm thinking of staying with it. What can I say? It grew on me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Go with your gut instict, if you're not 100% sold on the Ginger go with your first choice.
Also, I would have to agree with Rick, having a nice looking car is great, if it is reliable go for the cosmetics. Safety should be your #1 priority.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i liked the white on my car when i first bought it. then i primered it with some brown primer that actually made me look at how nice it was with actual COLOR on it. then i went for the gold. although i get negative comments on it sometimes, i like it. hell i may shoot another car in that color one day lol. i still have almost half a gallon left.

personally id go with the Black Cherry with the ginger top and interior. it will set it off nicley. i think it will give it a Loncoln-esque look as well. but im sure once you get the mechanical parts of it sorted out it will haul the wheaties with ease

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well then i think black cherry it is..

Ok first and formost the mechanicals of the car are pretty sound other than the mystery sound that has not returned the car is great!
It has new brakes, all of the suspension has been replaced, new brake lines, new fuel lines, alt, starter, fuel pump.

The only things i will change is the motor might be replaced with a "Q" code 351, and i am adding a 3:50 9" detroit locker.
Some new rims and some new tires and my flowmasters added on.

I might just have my 351 rebuilt but won't know how bad it needs it untill i pull the intake .

Then she will get paint,,,i am just planning ahead guys:D

P.S. Oh the FMX even works fine, but is getting replaced with a C6 with a shift kit.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
OK, just didnt want you thinking of selling her again cuz it doesnt run. Black Cherry is an awesome color, but has to be ---------> straight. The wife wants her Fairlane painted Black Cherry (I posted a pic in the gallery of one), so have to keep the boss happy, which means more work for me, outside, working on the car (think she plans it that way). Hummm.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My personal opinion?????? There are at least NINE shades of brown/red/gold in 1973 that would go well with the Ginger. I think a metallic would look the best. I think it's better to stick with the color palette from the year it was made. People formulate them to match, they get it right....[or maybe not I just looked up the DF (Ginger) combos in Marti's CBTN, would you believe medium Aqua (4N) exterior and ginger interior?]

http://www.metromustang.com/FordExterior/1973ExteriorPaint.html

It's a personal decision, but I tend to stay with the original color unless it's hideous.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well my car was wimbledon white, but i didnt like it too much so i went with the gold. then when time came to redo the car, i decided that the front was too plain to leave that way so i striped it..... white. im also not a big fan of metallics, yet my car has it. well, its a fine metallic at least. i HATE big flake. im not too keen on flashy colors either. even though my color is pretty bright in the sunlight. and i intend to paint my next Cougar a Competition Orange. all the while i hade a white interior to work with. ive gone through the color combo thing plenty of times before. i think the black cherry will suit it great. and as far as same year colors... well, my color is a 72 GM color. basically i didnt think that the Ford Golds from the same years suited the 69s body that well. and mosst of them were too green. ( still are for the most part )

·
Registered
266 Posts
sixt9coug: I hear ya on the comp orange. Thats actually my first choice, I'm not sure how well it will fare aginst my ginger interior. what do you think? Do ginger and orange go?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
personally i dont think that it will go. but i havent seen one so i wouldnt know off hand. i think it woul dbe best with a black interior or even a white one. just my preferences though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts