Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I have pretty much concluded that I need to put 6" x 9" speakers in the rear of the 'vert for good sound with decent bass (unless I went with a sub or subs in the trunk). 1/4 trim panel is my preferred or (only) location, besides perhaps packaged speakers laying on trans hump as others have suggested/described.

The power handling and bass capabilities go up dramatically from 6.5" to 6" x 9".

I broke out my reupholstered back seats and panels and mocked them up. There really isn't enough room for even 6.5" round speakers let alone 6" x 9"'s in the small space between the seat top and where the panel turns horizontal by the ash trays. Unless one resigns themselves to having whatever speakers you put there be partially obscured by the seat bottom (and flush mount with grille cloth or perforate the upholstery, I prefer the former approach).

Physically, I think 6" x 9"'s can fit (barely) in the space inside the panel, but making the external grille look nice will be challenging. Not using the stock, non-flush mount grilles is pretty much a given in my mind toward accomplishing this.

So, my question is (to a very limited audience), has anyone successfully managed to put 6" x 9"'s in their 69/70 'vert 1/4 trim panels?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Look at the frequency response on those Bob, not near low enough. You will want something that goes down to about 20-30 hertz to have the bass you are after. I have found though, that you have to have power behind the really low tones on a bigger speaker. I have some that are rated down to around 25 in my truck and still ended up getting a sub and amp because you just can't hear low tones unless there are a big amount of watts pushing them. Honestly though, if it were me, I would get a good 10 or 12 inch sub and a good amp then those speakers will work just fine for you.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Mike. Have been considering the sub/amp thing and picked out the KAC-8405 4/3/2 channel amp for that approach. I would use 2 channels for the rear speakers and the other 2 bridged to drive the sub. Programmable LPF's for the sub are built into the amp.

I know the sub approach will yield the best results but was kinda hoping to avoid it and get "okay for an old guy" results with good rear speakers and an amp.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If your head unit is a 50x4 unit, you may be wasting your money getting an amp all together. I had a pair of 6x9's in the cougar years ago that I put an amp on. They sounded great and had lots of bass, but the amp was turned all the way down. I took the amp off and there was no differance in sound or quality. I have played with stereos in all vehicles I have owned, and have never come across anything smaller than a 6x9 that you could get good bass out of. They all sounded like they were trying to hum when a bass drop came in, sort of like a bumble bee in your door. Have a look at one of these guys for bass. http://www.crutchfield.com/s_108BASSLIN/Infinity-Basslink.html?tp=114 My uncle has one in his jeep and it sounds great. And it does sound "good for an old guy", he is going on 65. You can find them cheaper elsewhere, just knew I coule find it easy there.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If your head unit is a 50x4 unit, you may be wasting your money getting an amp all together. I had a pair of 6x9's in the cougar years ago that I put an amp on. They sounded great and had lots of bass, but the amp was turned all the way down. I took the amp off and there was no differance in sound or quality. I have played with stereos in all vehicles I have owned, and have never come across anything smaller than a 6x9 that you could get good bass out of. They all sounded like they were trying to hum when a bass drop came in, sort of like a bumble bee in your door. Have a look at one of these guys for bass. http://www.crutchfield.com/s_108BASSLIN/Infinity-Basslink.html?tp=114 My uncle has one in his jeep and it sounds great. And it does sound "good for an old guy", he is going on 65. You can find them cheaper elsewhere, just knew I coule find it easy there.
Hi Mike,

Correct, 50W x 4, but that's only 22W per channel RMS. These peak numbers are marketing BS and only serve to complicate understanding what you really have.

With regard to (other than sub) amp, this situation is a little different with more modern units, my unit has the four power output channels and then it also has six pre-outs (or line outs) for front, rear and sub, L&R. The unit even has a built in sub LPF and volume offset for a disproportionate gain situation.

So, I am kind of thinking I would use the 4 power channels for the dash and door speakers and then a dedicated 4/3/2 channel power amp with the rear and sub pre-outs for the 1/4 speakers and sub (or subs). Not sure how that would work out with the fade function though.

Alternatively, I have tried (on the bench) putting the dash and door speakers in series for 8 ohms and less total volume the Kenwood "60W" door speakers are 15W RMS IIRC, so they are a little under what they should be for the head unit. In that scenario, I could get 6.5" 1/4 speakers (probably what I need to do anyway given the space) and run those off the rear power outputs and the 4 fronts off the front channels. Then, I just need an amp for the sub(s). I have an old Pioneer GM-120 component amp that I can cut the cord off the head unit to break out and use the amp with my new units sub pre-out. It is 60W + 60W, not sure if peak or RMS, but it was loud back in the day with matching Pioneer 6" x 9"s. I could use that as my sub amp along with the head units sub LPF function and volume offset to balance the system. Either that or buy a new dedicated sub amp (or what you suggested).

Agreed on the 6 x 9 minimum for bass, although I have continued to try. Probably need some way expensive "boutique" sort of speakers to do it with anything less than 6 x 9. And even 6 x 9 will never match a sub anyway.

So maybe these (that I picked a while back, but knew I had some issues to work out and so have held off buying):

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Speakers/6.5''_Oversized_n_6.5''_Speakers/KFC-1682ie

But they don't even tell you the RMS rating, which annoys me. I read that they are intended to be OEM replacement speakers so maybe that is why they are short on the specs. The KFC-X173's I mentioned above are more simple, understated grille-wise and have more complete specs. They seem to be a cheap version of these:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Speakers/6.5''_Oversized_n_6.5''_Speakers/KFC-X1730

Not sure what makes the difference between them, the 1730's are a little higher power, but both would fit as high a power as I am likely to go. Incidentally, they also seem to be the highest powered 6.5" that I could find (save "boutique-ey" speakers like Memphis or Infinity or ...). Most chance for decent bass but still would fall short I am sure.

Thanks for the discussion, suggestions and info Mike.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts