Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thank you Royce for the recommendation of Dennis for adjustable rockers...I have them already and they will be going in soon. That is where the question comes in. I don't have a manual for where to turn the engine to set specific valves for the rockers. I know TDC will get you the #1 valves, but then is it 180 degrees, 90, 317? I've done this with the small block fords some time ago..but don't remember the sequence. If anyone can respond with the proper way to set these adjustable rockers, that would be fantastic...also, he (dennis) recommended Moly Lube for the ball/cup connection of the push rods to rockers...what kind of lube is this? Strictly engine lube? grease? what would work? Thanks!
Chris Clackless in Bakersfield

·
11,000 Posts
Dennis does take care of business.

Adjustment sequence is as follows:

Note: Valves are arranged from front to rear E-I-E-I-I-E-I-E

A) Set #1 piston at TDC at end of compression stroke
Adjust #1,4 &5 exhaust and
#1, 8 and 7 intake.

B) Rotate crankshaft 180 degrees (1/2 turn) in normal direction of rotation. This puts piston #4 at TDC.
Adjust #2 & 6 exhaust and
#4 & 5 intake

C) Rotate the crankshaft another 270 degrees in normal direction of rotation (3/4 turn). This puts #3 at TDC.
Adjust #3, 7 & 8 exhaust and
#2, 3 & 6 intake.

·
11,000 Posts
Moly Lube

Dennis is talking about moly impregnated grease. It is sold as wheel bearing grease, moly type. The factory shop manual recommends Lubriplate which is also referred to as white lithium grease. Either works fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent...I have printed this all up and will have those rockers in soon...thank you once again...I can't tell you how much this has helped me in the restoration of this beast
Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a can of valvoline Moly Fortified multi-purpose grease...think that'll fly?

·
11,000 Posts
That should work. Be sure to pull the rockers to the side and squirt engine oil on the shafts before installing them. Just a little grease on the tip of each rocker arm ball and valve stem will do it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great

I think I'm set....by what Dennis said, I belive I am to back off all the adjusters before torqing the shafts down, then torqe down to approx 45lbs...spin the pushrods by hand as I tighten the adjusters, when they start to "grab", tighten one half turn...than that's it. If this is not right, please let me know...but I remember doing it this way with my old 289 (in my first cougar).
Thanks again
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts