Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!, I am a new member and new Cougar owner, a '70 standard, This car has a 351 c 2v, and a c-4, both the engine and transmission need rebuilt, however, I have a brand new '68 fairlane 390 4v, and '72 c-6 tranny. My question is, how hard would it be to put this 390 and c-6 into this car? what modifications would I have to do? has anyone done this? Any help appreciated,
Thanx
Justin

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well,

There are gonna be many thing you'll need to watch out for.

First off, you'll need new engine mounts, exhaust manifolds or headers, header pipe, radiator hoses, accessory brackets, p/s hoses....

Then you'll have to look at what that tranny came out of. Ford has three different tranny bolt patterns for Classic Cats. Small block(221-351W, 351C), tall block (351M/400M, 429 & 460), and FE (352, 360, 390, 427, 428). Even if you have the right bellhousing bolt pattern, there are a couple of different tailshaft housings for the differing style of tranny mounts. Then there's the linkage arm on the tranny.... Are you sure your current tranny is a C-4 and not an FMX? They look somewhat similar. C-4 usage usually stopped with 302s. 351 cars are usually FMX or C-6. Some applications even use FMX and C-6s on 302s. If you do have an FMX, it has a bolt-on bell housing. Yes, so do the C-4s, but I don't know of any FE-C4 bellhousings. There are, however, FE-FMX bellhousings. Anyway, you have the car there and can look, I can't from here. Sorry if you already know all of this.

Do you have the correct tranny flex plate and torque convertor for the FE-C6?

You will have to either obtain the correct driveshaft or cut down yours to fit. You have the right tranny slip yoke?

How about the correct floor shift trans linkage?

Speedo cable?

Throttle cable?

Downshift rod?

Since the FE is almost 100lbs heavier than the Cleveland, you might want to upgrade the front springs.

Long story short. It will be expensive and a lot of work.

I had a 429CJ that I had picked up for a song ($200). I was going to put it in my 73 Cougar in place of the 351C-4V. After adding up the costs, I decided to stick with the Cleveland!

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx!

Thanx for the post!
sorry I left out some info. The 390 and c-6 are in an F-250 right now, and I can light up both 31 inch tires @ 40 miles an hour, and this thing is stock, just has an RV cam and a holley 600, thats it for mods ,3.73 gears in the truck. The tranny in the car is definately a C-4, I just put an new filter and pan gasket in it yesterday, neither the tranny or the motor is stock I am pretty sure, at least the motor is not, it is a '73 Cleveland., but just gutless, it is a 2v and my mom's '87 subaru is twice as fast. just want good performance is all. But I am glad you mentioned all the little things like power steering, radiator hoses and throttle cables etc. made me think twice, I do not have real deep pockets right now, so if it is a pricey conversion I would just assume rebuild the Cleves. carburettor and drive it, I am doing that today probably, runs VERY rich. Just love the FE motors a lot, they are great.
thanx for the input These things are new to me,
Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts