Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1974 Cougar XR-7 that was a Special Ordered Car. It came with tons of Options. A list of the Options this car has is listed below.

Power Steering, Pwr Disc Brakes, Pwr Windows, Door Locks, Power Seats that are Special Black Leather Buckets. A/C, Cruise and Tilt Wheel, Electric Rear Window Defrost, Delayed Windshield Wipers, AM FM 8 Track, Factory Tachometer, Factory Gauge Package, 3:25 Rear End Gears with 31 Spline Axles and Posi (Traction Lock) with a Factory Ordered 460 Engine with Four Barrel Carb and C-6 Transmission.

This car had a Special Emblem Plate on the Rear Bumper that said "Trailer Towing".
It also has Dealer Installed Individual Push Up Sun/Moon Roof.

This car used to run excellent and would dominate a GT Mustang. It has been sitting for about 20 years now and needs someone to restore it.

I just have too many projects and not enough time to do them all. There is rust in the corners of the doors and the lower quarter at the front on the left rear. The Vinyl Top has deteriorated and needs replacing.

This would be a Great Car for someone to Restore. How many 460 Cougars have you ever seen? This is my first. I have a Clear North Carolina Title.

This car was a Medium Blue Metallic I believe but was painted Carolina Blue by the guy I purchased it from.

I will sell this car for $3,500.00 or best offer.
I can email pictures. Call me at, 704-861-1861.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
That must have been a neat car at one time. The day the wheels & tires came off for good (must have been a LONG time ago) it became a parts car.

$3,500, I like your sense of humor.

I'll come get it if you pay me $350, & put a set of wheels & tires on it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
While I may not be as blunt about it as some, I am afraid you would be lucky to pull $3000 for that car if it was in "very good" condition. As it sits now it needs a full restoration and there simply is not a big market for those cars.

Get what you can for the car but If someone offers you $500 I'd suggest you take it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Tact: the ability to to tell someone to go to h*** and:
  1. make them happy to be on their way
  2. have them to (nicely) ask for directions
Some have it, some don't, and some just don't give a flip...

Chuck

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
LET'S SEE, DIDN'T EVERYONE'S MOTHER SAY, " IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE, THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL".

It's NOT my choice of cars, but it will just take just ONE buyer to say, I'LL TAKE IT.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
491 Posts
Get what you can for the car but If someone offers you $500 I'd suggest you take it.

Best of luck.

as heavy as it is, its probably worth that much in scrap.....

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
A shame,
Though i drove a 1976 lincoln mark 5 2 door,It rode like we the people and it too had a 460 in it.But the ride was like a cushion of air.If this car was running and mobile i say at least 1,000-1,500 .C`mon i think 3500 is a bit to much.Who knows what the underside looks like?

thanks
pat

·
Registered
301 Posts
This isn't the first time this has been posted here, though every other time no one felt the need to flame him for his asking price.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I know what you are saying Jacob. I was kind of feeling a little bad about my post in that if they guy wants to ask $3500 it's his car... His choice.. The flip side is though I didnt see my own post as a flame in as much as it was a suggestion that he may want to re-evaluate the market conditions. $3500 buys a whole lotta Cougar right now compared to what is being offered there.

Still I think sometimes I speak a little too much and yeah.. sorry if I was out of line to the OP.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
This isn't the first time this has been posted here, though every other time no one felt the need to flame him for his asking price.
I'm not flaming anyone. It is what it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why even bother with posting these negative comments??

Personally I don't understand the logic. What makes one person a price expert and another a price idiot? I guess my philosophy is to read a post with interest, and if I don't think the price is what I would want to pay for the vehicle/part, go on my merry way. It will be clear to the poster if his price is too high as he'll either receive no enquiries, or he'll receive offers that are more in line with the PERCEIVED value of the potential buyer.

Put yourself into the postion of a seller...would you want all this negative press on something you listed? I think not.

If a price offends you, move on, but don't hammer someone because it doesn't fit your price guidelines. Who knows, it may be someones perfect Cougar while it obviously isn't yours.

Lighten up, enjoy life, and let others post without fear of retribution.

Just my two cents worth on the topic of hammering someone over listed prices. FWIW....

And just to be clear, no...I would not be interested in this car. But I'm not interested at any price...it's not the model Cougar that I appreciate.

I wish the seller good luck and hope that the actions of the collective here at the forums hasn't driven him off.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
My bad.. :uhoh:

thanks
pat

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The forum is all about opinions

Personally I don't understand the logic. What makes one person a price expert and another a price idiot? I guess my philosophy is to read a post with interest, and if I don't think the price is what I would want to pay for the vehicle/part, go on my merry way. It will be clear to the poster if his price is too high as he'll either receive no enquiries, or he'll receive offers that are more in line with the PERCEIVED value of the potential buyer.

Put yourself into the postion of a seller...would you want all this negative press on something you listed? I think not.

If a price offends you, move on, but don't hammer someone because it doesn't fit your price guidelines. Who knows, it may be someones perfect Cougar while it obviously isn't yours.

Lighten up, enjoy life, and let others post without fear of retribution.

Just my two cents worth on the topic of hammering someone over listed prices. FWIW....

And just to be clear, no...I would not be interested in this car. But I'm not interested at any price...it's not the model Cougar that I appreciate.

I wish the seller good luck and hope that the actions of the collective here at the forums hasn't driven him off.
The picture says it all. The car is sitting outside, on the dirt, with no wheels & tires, supported by cinder blocks under the rockers. The post says it's been sitting for 20 years. If this was a car somebody cared about, this would not be the case.

This forum has a long history of opining on cars for sale.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This forum has a long history of opining on cars for sale.
And, THIS is the exact problem that I speak of. If you don't like the car, or the manner in which it was stored, or the fact it's fugly...move on.

Just as you obviously don't care about my opinions, I don't want to hear or read yours. All this hammering does is irritate the seller and accomplishes absolutely nothing for the forum.

If you like it, but it. If you don't, move on. But don't saddle the buyer with your acidic wit, nor the forum with wasted bandwidth.

This isn't intended just for your ears/eyes...it's for all who think that they are the forum police. Just enjoy the forum and leave others alone. Things will settle without the hyperbole, IMHO.:beer:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
...Just as you obviously don't care about my opinions, I don't want to hear or read yours...IMHO.:beer:
Paul, you're wrong. I do care about your opinions. Oh, and be patient, we make fun of Comets on Wednesdays.:lolani:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts