Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I dropped my car of at Ernie's garage to get some body work done back in April. When he looked at it he told me it would take 2 weeks to 1 month tops to fix it. Well, that was 6 months ago and still very little progress has been made. I am so disappointed in what is going on that I am thinking about taking the car to another body shop here in Denver Classic and performance mustang INC. I went and toured their shop today I was extremely impressed with the time line he laid out and the pricing. I think I may go ahead and shift my project to them instead of leaving it with Ernie.

I go to school most of the week and I don't get to stop by the body shop as much as I would like too. So I found this place here in Denver called Classic Performance Mustangs INC. Has anyone taken their Cat or anything to these guys they had a Copper 68 they were working on for a customer sitting out side. I think it may be someone's from here. I don't know what the hell else to do about my Body guy. I He has done one patch panel in 6 months completely unacceptable. Just venting my frustration any advice aside from setting someone's shop on fire like my brother suggested.

Thanks Cougar Family for listening.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I doubt it will get any better either. Show up with your trailer and be firm, don't leave until they cough up all the loose parts!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I think you ought to ship it to the guy who did Harvey's car. That thing got done in record time. My car spent over 2 years in body shop jail so you've got a ways to go still.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Take that chit elsewhere no excuses for it IMO

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not the time line that I am pissed about. I took it there to get work done and he has done precisely dick. I really want it done and done right he keeps coming up with excuses as to why he hasn't finished it and I am done.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Is there no place in the town where you live that you could take it and keep an eye on it?

So, I dropped my car of at Ernie's garage to get some body work done back in April. When he looked at it he told me it would take 2 weeks to 1 month tops to fix it. Well, that was 6 months ago and still very little progress has been made. I am so disappointed in what is going on that I am thinking about taking the car to another body shop here in Denver Classic and performance mustang INC. I went and toured their shop today I was extremely impressed with the time line he laid out and the pricing. I think I may go ahead and shift my project to them instead of leaving it with Ernie.

I go to school most of the week and I don't get to stop by the body shop as much as I would like too. So I found this place here in Denver called Classic Performance Mustangs INC. Has anyone taken their Cat or anything to these guys they had a Copper 68 they were working on for a customer sitting out side. I think it may be someone's from here. I don't know what the hell else to do about my Body guy. I He has done one patch panel in 6 months completely unacceptable. Just venting my frustration any advice aside from setting someone's shop on fire like my brother suggested.

Thanks Cougar Family for listening.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in a town of 600 people and one body shop. I am 3 hrs from Denver. However I am now going to school in Denver so I can stop in a few times during the week to check on it if I bring it out here. If I keep it out there I can only make it out there once a month to check on it. I can't afford to take time off work and my house, GAS, Apartment and everything else to keep tabs on this. SO I am just going to put it in my car hauler and bring it to Denver and Find a good body shop that I can trust.

·
Registered
508 Posts
This Saturday(10/15/2011), the Colorado Cougar Club will be at Doherty High School in the Springs http://www.coloradocougarclub.com/Calendar.aspx Might be a good place to get some advice/leads.
Yeah, some shops want to retire off of and with your ride,....while production/insurance-work type shops want the "quick buck" and won't find it profitable to take on a restoration project. Get your ride outta there before it becomes a problem..........

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Talk to Cougar Bill. I think he's about 15 minutes from Denver. Super nice guy, I'm sure he could help you out.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If there is one common theme about body repair and/or paint on classic cars, this (unfortunately) is it. Also (unfortunately) far too many (most) of us have been through the same thing. Best of luck man.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talk to Cougar Bill. I think he's about 15 minutes from Denver. Super nice guy, I'm sure he could help you out.
I emailed him last night gonna talk more with him later today. After class

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Good luck, I actually thought it took a long time with mine. Most of the time car sat with nothing being done as other projects came together for the guy. Some times insurance work came in and out in between. All in all from what i have heard on here I got lucky. I bet actually work time on mine was maybe three weeks? but the end product took six months. At least I had a little time to pay on it. Hope you find someone who will do you right. Harv

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
CatVert spent over a year in the body shop AFTER the structural conversion was done. I even offered a $1500 bonus to get it done earlier because I knew the shop owner had underbid the prep and paint work. Even that didn't get things moving any faster. I agree with others who have suggested showing up with a trailer and taking the car out of there. Just make sure that the next shop you use is on the hook for a timely completion or you could end up fighting the same fight all over again.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Here's a tip I learned the hard way: don't let him talk you into letting him finish the car-- no matter what promises he makes. He will rush the job to get it done or worse yet (as in my case) hire someone part-time to finish it. Either way, there will be shortcuts taken wherever possible just to get the car out the door and keep you happy. I had my 68 done repainted by a local shop a few years back. I specifically told the owner to estimate how much time he needed, what price he wanted and to let me know when he could block off that time for my car. He said it would be about two weeks so I said fine, and we scheduled two weeks for the project. Well, three months later the car was still pushed off into a corner of the shop half done. During one of my weekly visits, I caught him spraying a bumper cover while my car sat gathering dust and overspray. I told asked him how much he was expecting to make on the bumper job. He said $200. If he had finished the car, he could have made $4,000.00. As it was, I was so mad I called my client who has a flatbed to come over and get the car. Unfortunately, while we waited for my client to arrive, I let the guy talk me into letting him finish the car. He swore up and down he would have it done within a week. He did, but he hired some buddy of his to finish it and while it turned out presentable, it was nowhere near a $4,000 paint job. Within two years I had bubbles appearing around the wheels due to poor prep.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I say move your car. As stated above don't take no for an answer. If the current shop finishes it they might do a rush job. Do your homework as far as the next shop. You don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Steven

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
That's precisely the reason I learned to do bodywork.
It's not too hard to find someone to spray a car after the bodywork is finished.

Finding someone to go through the drudgery of rust repair, sanding, filler work, sanding, priming, sanding, panel alignment, sanding, sanding, and sanding is tough. It's tough work that demands a lot of time and a certian skill level.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
That's precisely the reason I learned to do bodywork.
It's not too hard to find someone to spray a car after the bodywork is finished.

Finding someone to go through the drudgery of rust repair, sanding, filler work, sanding, priming, sanding, panel alignment, sanding, sanding, and sanding is tough. It's tough work that demands a lot of time and a certian skill level.
Me too Art, but the paint work still took over a year! The result, well worth it, but still!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
the drudgery of rust repair, sanding, filler work, sanding, priming, sanding, panel alignment, sanding, sanding, and sanding is tough. It's tough work that demands a lot of time and a certian skill level.
Aww what are you saying Art? This is something I've been looking forward to for a couple of years. It's going to be fun isn't it?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I live in a town of 600 people and one body shop. I am 3 hrs from Denver.
Then I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are no longer located in Colorado Springs as your "location" indicates. At last count there were at least 700 people and 2 body shops here and we were about an hour away from Denver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts