Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another pic of my car as the last one was scanned from a poloroid snapshot. The story I got was it was a ALabama car till 88 when it went to the owner I bought it from. It is a sports special option with the 351 performance group and compitition handling package. Its solid and straight med blue metailc. The 351 is getting pretty tired and I plan on freshening it up this winter. (maybe a stroker?) It has a fmx with a shift kit and the rear has been changed from a 3.00 open to a 3.25 traction loc. The int was originaly blue but was partially changed to black when I got it. I did alot of int work this last winter and finally got it to where I lke it. It got a new headliner, kick panels a piller trim, and 70 xr7 door panels and seats I know its not original with the xr7 seats but to hell with that, they look beautifull and sit nice. Its still a work in progress as I need to rechrome a few pieces, but I still can enjoy it now and boy dose it ever turn the heads, especially when I drive it along with my brother who has a raven black and gold 69 mach 1. You ought to see the people they attract to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
...Couldn't have said it better myself. That is one gorgeous car. By the way what kind of steering wheel is that? It'd look good in my 68 XR7 I bet. Anyway sweet ride MM! - Chad (jealous)

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
That's a sweet looking Coug you have there MM. I'm green with envy ... again. It's a great feeling when those heads spin around to catch a second look isn't it.....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Chad, The steering wheel is a Grant. $59 at auto zone, I have the original rimblow but it needs restored and someday maybe I'll get it back on, but really I like the 13" wheel better as it gives me more room to get in and out. Logan, your the first one who has ever noticed the 70 taillights, there the best ones I could come up with so thats what it got. Maybe some one has a good set of 69's to trade? If not I'm happy with the 70's. You were sharp to notice the taillights but you missed the 70 quarter windows. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I got a decent set of 69 taillight grills from Don Rush at West Coast Classic Cougars...I think $80...

70 quarter glass? My xray vision must not be working...

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
70 Tail lights???

Okay Guys....lesson time again. How in the heck can you tell the difference from a pic Logan? I just noticed that mine were 69 tail lights on my 70 (replaced after getting rear ended 8 years ago) the other day and I had to get down and look at the cast numbers in the lenses before I knew that.....now I'm :confused:

Hey MM...wanna trade ;)

Dale

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dale, the differance Logan picked up on is the spaceing of the vertical ribs. The 69 ribs are all evenly spaced while the 70's ribs are a wide space then 2 ribs close together then wide space 2 close together etc. Look at the spacing of your ribs not the taillight lens. Ford put the c9 number on the lens because that was the first year that part was used and would use the same part number on a 70 (or later if they didnt change the part) because the lens is the same even if the bezels are different. By the way I just found out what a avatar was, how do you like my new one? mm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Marks TIGHT 69'

Guru's,
I am a very new cougar owner and have some questions.
1) How do you tell if you have an SS. I just bought a 69' that looks EXACTLY like Marks except for the Black int. (Mine is White/Blue) and the Black hood stripe.
2) Interior parts seem impossible to find, I need almost everything for the interior, including carpet and leather seat covers (Ouch). Is there anyone you could recommend?.

I am humbled by your intellect.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Nice XR-7

Tom,

Nice looking XR-7. I don't think the Sport Special Package was available on an XR-7. I was a trim package for standard HTs. It consisted of "bullett" style rocker mouldings, turbine wheel covers and pin stripes that followed the side contour.

Most of the vendors have your upholstery and carpet. Check with Mustangs Unlimited www.mustangsunlimited,com. They don't have leather listed in their catalog, so I assume it's vinyl. Other vendors do, so shop around.

The XR-7 had the nicest interiors, a bit more to restore but worth it.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Tom judging from the roof piller badges, I'm sure you have a XR7. The XR7 is really the top of the line Cougar and by far they had the nicest interiors. Right up there with the Lincoln. Thats why if you noticed I went ahead and used XR7 seats and door panels in my ss, there simply very nice and comfortable. You can get leather upolstery if you want to spent the bucks( a whole lot of them) or you can redo them in vinyl. To redo front and rear seats is around $500 for XR7 vinyl and around $1200 in leather. That is just for the covers. If you need someone to install them for you that is extra. I know that you can get them from Auto Krafters, Mustangs Unlimited, Kens Cougars and Johns Classic Cougars. There also may be others. I got mine from Auto Krafters, they were a little less money than the rest and I am happy with them but the guy who installed my upolstery wasnt happy with the way they used nylon cord on the flaps inside instead of steel rods like the factory covers. He ended up resewing the flaps and using steel rods and charged me a little more. Look closely at my seats and I doubt if you will want to spend the money for leather, but its your choice and money.mm

O, by the way, very nice looking XR7. Post any int parts you may need as I have some xtra parts left over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts