Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received back a 68 grille assembly I sent out for restoration. It was brought back to better then new condition by Mr. VacuumMan who works through WCCC. I can't use enough adjectives to describe how great it looks. I sent out a grille with a cracked door, bent verticals, and the back assemblies looking like swiss cheese from rust. Both actuators were frozen. My wife says I have to get them out of the living room after two days of staring at them! All hardware is new including clips, screws, bolts, springs, rebuilt actuators, headlights and adjusters. The black paint is the color used by the original grille manufacturer. Plus I had the Mercury man assembly rechromed and painted. I'm told the chroming is "triple show chrome" and my grille is ready for Barrett-Jackson, Brian and others can't be wrong.
Check out the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
As Billy Crystal would say, "That looks Marvelous"!!!!!! :) John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I echo the two comments I have read thus far: "NICE!!!" and "$$$$!!"

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Is that a tiny bit of rust I see on the bolt threads right in the middle of pic 3. You'd better demand a refund. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Is that a tiny bit of rust I see on the bolt threads right in the middle of pic 3. You'd better demand a refund. ;)
I decided not to say anything about that...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Seriously, though, those look damn nice and considering how significant a design feature the grill is for these cars, I think this will be one thing set's your car ahead of most other restorations.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
This is my next project. Thanks for the great "after" pics, looks great.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
These look fantastic! what is between the chromed ribs? You see the bright chrome, but on the sides of those ribs, it is like a satin finish. Is this paint or chrome that has been bead blasted?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Silver/argent paint.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The suspence is killing me. How much did that cost?? Very nice. A good grill makes a car look cool even if the rest of it not up to par.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Beautiful work. I would love to have the same done to mine. I'm sure the $$$ can vary somewhat but a ballpark idea on the cost would be nice to know. With the front grill such a huge focal point on the 67-68 it really pays to make them look nice.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'll take "Front Grille" for $800 Alex... :buck:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You got me worried I had to unpack them and look. Actually its a phosphate coating and in sunlight it looks correct but the flash and the CFL lights in my garage changes it.
Every grill gets estimated for cost so its tough to throw out a number. I'm also told that 69/70 grilles and all taillight assemblies can also be restored.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Another high quality grille from Darren.

Darren did the chrome and argent paint on my grille two years ago. I took the grille apart and he just did the fins and I did the rest of the work. Mine were in pretty good shape to begin with, just the chrome had yellowed and paint fadded. He does very nice work! and is very picky. He sent a couple of pieces back to the chrome shop until they were perfect. I'm sure the price has changed since he did mine, so I'm not going to throw the price out there. It took a couple of extra months to get mine done as him and Don Rush were in the middle of selling the red 69 428CJ at Barrett- Jackson. Didn't asked for this, but to make up for the delay he gave me two restored head light actuators. Take some pictures of your grille and send to him for an estimate.

Before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow...Darren has my grille assembly. He will be shipping it back to me next week...Now I am even more excited than ever! I have already got the center Mercury Man piece back from him, along with my gage cluster...he does do amazing work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts