Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im redoing the suspension on my wifes 68 xr7 , ive done some searches but cant find exactly what im looking for. her car has disc brakes already up front. is there something else i can upgrade with? like from a different car that would help stop it better? they look old so i was going to re do the brakes with some cross drilled rotor and maybe some ebc pads but then i started thinking , what better time to beef them up, hopefully someone has some input for me. also while im tearing down the front end. what about lowering springs i hear all this about 620 but i cant find where they sell them or if they actually lower the car or not.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cougie,

Are the front disc brakes facory power discs or non-powered?

My 67 had factory power drums and I replaced the fronts with a complete Master Power Brakes front disc brake conversion with a new brake booster, master cylinder and calipers. However the booster that came with my kit was smaller than the original bendix setup and after I installed the damn thing, I realized it was for a manual and not an automatic!! If I could do it all over again, I would have forked out the extra bucks and bought the SSBC conversion kit.

As far as the 620 springs, you can get them at Mustangs Plus out of Stockton. They lowered my front about an inch but I also replaced the entire rear suspension (from WCCC) at the same time. The 620s are way better than the originals as the stock units were quite soft, plus the 620's aren't so stiff that they rock your teeth loose. I paired my springs with Mustang Plus' Grab-A-Track shocks as well, yeah the shocks aren't expensive, but they ride quite well.

Hope this helps.

Coach Jack

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I own and work on 69's mostly but the 68 - 67 suspension and brake system is esentialy the same.

If you have power front disk brakes you have all the parts you need.
Is there a problem with the way it stops? Knowing what the current limitations are helps narrow down the upgrsdes. Any upgrade liated for a muatang will work on your car. Your spindles and tire size determine how large the disks can be. For example you can only run the stock 10in disk (I think that is right) with 14inch rims. However if you run 17 inch rims you can upgrade to 12 inch disks. A new master cylinder with larger capacity would be needed to feed dual piston calipers and on it goes.

I would not be looking at another car but rather what upgrades companies like willowood offer

If you want to increase braking power start by replacing the booster, master cylinder, calipers and disks with all new fluid. That can make a big difference. Look at a disk brake upgrade for the rear. That will add much more braking power.

Springs. Yes. I did the 620's and the Shelby drop. This provides better handling and a lower stance. Looks good.

Tell us more about your current system and the issue that made you want to upgrade

Time for fun!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
try putting on some organic (soft ) pads----carefull on the aftermarket rotors--the super wiz-bang cross drilled rotors from stainless steel brakes were 40 grams out of balance

·
Registered
759 Posts
My 67 is running a stock (new) 69 Mustang Disc/Drum master cylinder and prop valve mated to a 91 Mustang 5.0 power booster. The front spindles, calipers and discs are from a 70 Mustang Grande. The rear discs are stock 96 Exploder drum in hat non-vented units. The rear calipers are small enough that I should be able to get away with the disc/drum M/C, if not i will go to a later model Mustang disc/disc unit. Once I raise the power output I will upgrade the brakes to a 12 or 13 inch late model cobra system up front if necessary. My car had seized and mismatched 4 wheel drums when I drug it home so "upgrading" was a necessity.

Honestly, for a daily driver the factory ford disc/drum system is pretty decent. If i were you I would look at decent rotors (drilled and slotted) quality pads, replace the M/C and rubber lines then bleed out the system with DOT3. If you do not have power brakes then I would look into installing a booster.

My 69 Mustang was a beast under the hood, but it stopped fine with the rebuilt factory system.

·
Registered
759 Posts
----carefull on the aftermarket rotors--the super wiz-bang cross drilled rotors from stainless steel brakes were 40 grams out of balance
Holy crud that's alot of imbalance!... Hopefully you sent them back or had them machined and balanced. You would think that SSBC would have better quality control.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own and work on 69's mostly but the 68 - 67 suspension and brake system is esentialy the same.

If you have power front disk brakes you have all the parts you need.
Is there a problem with the way it stops? Knowing what the current limitations are helps narrow down the upgrsdes. Any upgrade liated for a muatang will work on your car. Your spindles and tire size determine how large the disks can be. For example you can only run the stock 10in disk (I think that is right) with 14inch rims. However if you run 17 inch rims you can upgrade to 12 inch disks. A new master cylinder with larger capacity would be needed to feed dual piston calipers and on it goes.

I would not be looking at another car but rather what upgrades companies like willowood offer

If you want to increase braking power start by replacing the booster, master cylinder, calipers and disks with all new fluid. That can make a big difference. Look at a disk brake upgrade for the rear. That will add much more braking power.

Springs. Yes. I did the 620's and the Shelby drop. This provides better handling and a lower stance. Looks good.

Tell us more about your current system and the issue that made you want to upgrade

Time for fun!!

well the car is not driven much i moved it about 5 miles last month to its new storage place . brakes felt well like an old cars brakes feel,lol. suspension is very sloppy so that may have something to do with my concern. i was going to change the lower bll joint that needed to be replaced but once i began to rtear it apart i decided i would do the entire suspension. and the brakes up front while im at it. the pads are getting low and the rotors have rust. im runing 17" mustang bullit rims as well. im just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here dont want to replace it with faactory stuff only to find out that for the same price i could of put somthing else that would improve the braking and safety later. thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive heard the shelby drop a lot. although no one says what it is. can someone explain this to me please? and does it lower the front if so how much? thanks. me and the search button are friends but i keep coming up short.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The Shelby drop lowers the holes where the upper A arm bolts to the shock tower. It changes the angle of the tire to esentialy get more rubber on the road for better hadling. It also lowers the front suspension an inch for a better look and lower center of gravity.

I have a question about the rear brakes. I also want better braking due to 4 wheel drum manual brakes. The front upgrade is a given. Got all the parts ready to go. I want to add disks to the rear. I read above about it but did not follow completly. Can the disks be removed off an Explorer and used? If so, any articles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts