Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

What year 351W block would be the best to find in a scrap yard for rebuidling? As far as ease of finding parts, quality of block, etc. This would go into 68 standard, with a C4.

I'm in the gathering information stage of this idea, aka daydreaming at work. Maybe it would be cheaper and/or easier to go with a crate engine. Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I have always heard 69 windsor's are the best. I remember buying a set of 69 windsor heads back in high school because they had the small combustion chambers and big valves.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
as far as a block goes, i was told that the 69 - 73 blocks are best for a buildup. as far as the heads go the 69 and 70 heads are the best ones to start out with from a factory standpoint. and hey... guess who has a pair of 69 Windsor heads that he wants to sell :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
The 69-70 heads used to be the best stock head out there but I don't think that's true anymore. With GT-40 heads and 351W roller blocks in late model trucks and Explorers, that is what I would go for.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Look for an F150 lightning engine if you want a good casting with a good crank and rods.
You can't miss the heads (GT40) in the JYD either. They have 3 vertical bars on the front of the head. No casting number.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As always, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
D351r

Far as a crate engine goes, you can get a ford racing D351 R engine with 385hp right out of the box. The D351 comes with vbelt pulleys already on it.
Comes with x305 heads. Not sure if youd need a custom header.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a 69 351 4v for sale complete with the tranny cheap

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just my two cents. I don't think it matters much which year for finding parts etc. There are all kinds of parts and options available for this sized block no matter what the year. I am currently having a 351W performance engine built for my 67 cougar. When I finally decided to go with the 351 we had to find a block. If you have a choice then good for you! I took what was available at the time (out of a 93 F-150).
I have heard that for strength the early years were the best (69-73?). These blocks had high nickel content or something like that which made them a very strong block. I think it all depends upon what you intend on doing with the engine. If you are going to race this engine at high revs then maybe you need to be particular about the block and seek out an early year model for its strength. However, if you are going to use this as a daily driver and occasional performance, any block in good condition will do.
In my opinion one big question is what you intend to do with this engine? If its to blow the doors off of ricers off the line then you want low end torque. To get this low end torque any 351 can be built to provide this but, if you still want decent idle quality, good vacuum etc. then you might want to consider a later model year (roller style cam). Some opinions out there claim you can get a more aggressive cam with this later style (roller) and not sacrifice idle and vacuum (which helps performance). However, if you want to run this thing continuously at 6500 rpm for example then block selection certainly does become important.
If the engine is meant for daily driving only then parts are available for all years.
Just my two cents. Currently building a .03 over 351W with comp cam, performer dual plane intake, 670 Holley carb, TFS heads and pistons and Hooker headers. I'm in the process of spending my two bits and finding out how she'll perform. Should be ready by mid June.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, all I am worried about is getting a 351 block from a year that will bolt up to my 1968 C4 and will fit in the bay without any problems, and the availability of parts.

At this point, just a daily driver. Of course, I WANT to go fast!!

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
It really doesnt matter what year as far as them all fitting. Basically I dont think any year is better than another except the 69-73? had a lower deck height to help raise the comp, but any will be able to be decked to where you need it to be. The other thing is the latter blocks are set up for a roller cam. Not sure what years off hand but I know my truck has a 94 motor in it and its a roller cam motor.

T

·
0 Posts
don't get a 75-80 from a cougar thhe c4 tranny is funky that matches my motor runs great though the tranny that bolts up to it is a c4w/ c6 bellhousing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts