Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on pulling my 73 out of the driveway. Its parked nose in at a slight downward incline. I can't push it by hand, so I want to hook up a tow strap. The plan is to pull it out onto the road- which runs downhill. Once it is in the road I can drive it to the transmission shop. It moves in forward gear, just not in reverse :bloated:.

Any ideas for attaching the strap? Is the bumper strong enough? My rear valance really is in the way at the angle I need to pull. Were talking a 25' distance, slight grade.

ALSO. I'll be glad to have the transmission rebuilt; but I don't want to get overcharged. Should I ask them to rebuild mine? (FMX). I hate to settle for adjustments at this point, so I don't mind paying for an honest remove/rebuild/reinstall. What is a fair range for this transmission and should I ask for a shift kit for stronger 2nd gear?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Best solution of all is to spend a few bucks and have it towed to the trans shop...

Or... *

Attach the tow strap to the rear axle, DO NOT use the rear bumper!!!! Make sure it does not contact the rear valence (impossible to find another straight one!) by putting a 2x4 board under the gas tank, then pull it into the street. Make sure someone is riding 'shotgun' in the Cougar when you do so they can hit the brakes!

FWIW, I've pulled shrubs out of the ground with my Cougar and a tow strap...

* - Do so at your own peril. Damages are NOT covered by anyone's insurance!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time. -Roger the Shrubber from "The Holy Grail"

cougrrcj. Thanks for the advice on shubbery abuse, I will take it to heart and yank not a shrub.

Rear axle then with appropriate wood.

thanks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ed,

Funny you should quote 'Holy Grail' -- The Wife and I just watched it again for the 30-somethingth-odd time this past weekend!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, I pulled her out onto the street with a Nylon tow strap. Used a 2x4 under the tank- no damage- good advice cougrrcj. Thanks.

I have an appointment at the transmission shop in the morning. I'll let you all know how that goes.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I need some advice on pulling my 73 out of the driveway. Its parked nose in at a slight downward incline. I can't push it by hand, so I want to hook up a tow strap. The plan is to pull it out onto the road- which runs downhill. Once it is in the road I can drive it to the transmission shop. It moves in forward gear, just not in reverse :bloated:.

Any ideas for attaching the strap? Is the bumper strong enough? My rear valance really is in the way at the angle I need to pull. Were talking a 25' distance, slight grade.

ALSO. I'll be glad to have the transmission rebuilt; but I don't want to get overcharged. Should I ask them to rebuild mine? (FMX). I hate to settle for adjustments at this point, so I don't mind paying for an honest remove/rebuild/reinstall. What is a fair range for this transmission and should I ask for a shift kit for stronger 2nd gear?
It's too late now, but did you think of parking it on the street to begin with? Would it have been there too long and broken some city ordinance?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Around here, a decent rebuild with a shift kit installed is in the $450 range if the trans was already yanked. I've never paid to have one R&R'd so sorry can't help you there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larry, my friend; Had I known that reverse was going to"go out" on the day that it finally did, I would not have parked nose-in in the driveway. The city I live in has pretty cool cops. There is one lady cop that issued me a "tint-too-dark" ticket on my Grand Marquis factory tint. I had to scrape it off- no kidding. The tags on this car were current and as long as they are and the car is not on jacks, I think I'd be OK on the curb.

Hero, if you don't mind me calling you by your last name, thanks for the prices. So if I had to pay $500 for the rebuild and another $200-300 to get it R&R'd I'd be OK with that. My driveway is paved at present with gravel and not conducive for working under cars. So I'd gladly pay transmission shop labor. These guys did a TH350 for me and they did a great job. I hope the shop is just as good as it was under the original owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts