Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AM Radio that works and I don't want to do away with it. I bought an amplifier that I'm going to hook up to a Zune MP3 player. The Zune has FM Radio and plays MP3's. I am going to hook the amp up to a pair of 6 X 9's on the rear deck and a subwoofer in the trunk. I haven't run any wires yet but I did a temporary test and it sounds good.
Here's my problem: There doesn't seem to be any way to get the amp power wire through the firewall to hook to the battery. I plan on putting an on/off switch in the ashtray (or somewhere) to power the amp on and off for the remote wire and the amp will hook up to the Zune via the RCA cables and an adapter down to a 3mm plug into the Zune. Can I hook the amp power cord up to the fuse box or the am radio power wire? Does it have to be hooked to the battery? Is there a wy to get through the firewall without drilling a hole? THANKS

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am sure there is a grommet or two that you can sneak your wire through without having to drill a new hole in the firewall. I would advise staying away from tying into the fuse block or the old radio power wire. Amplifiers draw a lot of current and should have a direct feed to the battery with a dedicated (properly sized) fuse to protect the amp, your car, and you...

What size of amp is this?
Where are you mounting the amplifier?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, found space around the accelerator pedal grommet and all works and looks good. Power cord was just big enough to go from the battery to the trunk behing the back seat. Here's a few pics... IMG_0148[1].jpg IMG_0149[1].jpg IMG_0150[1].jpg BTW, Zune swings down nicely under dash when opening the glove compartment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts