Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a extra set of '69 XR-7 seats in black. They are in very nice shape, but dirty from years of garage storage.

The fella I got them from told me to start with Windex and a soft cloth. Then 80/20 water/bleach solution. And finish with Armorall.

Do this sound about right? The bleach part worries me. How do you all do it?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mine were in a attic as well, i used simple green , it was the only thing that took off the crud!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
409 is great for grease, with a stiff Bristle Brush on vinyl..Leather is happy with the Lexol as discussed..

Beleive it or not, a detailer once told me to use ENGINE DEGREASER on seats years ago, and it works really well.

Also, Aerospace 303 vinyl treatment is awesome on Vinlyl. At NAPA

Microfiber cloths and elbow/fingertip strenth into those grooves and nooks and crannies with Simple Green or 409 works very well, but again, a stiff bristle brush with 409's hard to beat

NO on Armour All, I'm not sure bleach is a good thing at all..

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have used glass cleaner as well, but I do like simple green better. If you don't want your seats, or anything else for that matter, to fade and crack, do not use Armour-All. It magnifies the effects of the sun and dries them out. My mom used it in the bedliner in her truck and it was milky while within a month. I also like the lexol products, but I like to use them more often than recommended.

·
Registered
452 Posts
orange hand cleaner with punice, no armor-all, your painter will hunt you down, leaves a silicone reisdue everywhere which causes paint to orange peel

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds crazy but I used Mr. clean magic eraser bathroom cleaner on all my 67' saddle parts. Scared me too death because my wife told me to trust her but it worked awesome. Everything's super clean but smells like a lemon. lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used BBQ- or oven spray cleaner and a regular sponge cloth. Caution, the good stuff contains sodium hydroxide and is caustic, and therefor should be handled carefully. Don't let it sit either.

Lightly spray one small section at a time and gently wipe it with a moist sponge cloth. Rinse the cloth and repeat until desired cleanliness has been achieved, then rinse the cloth again and wipe the seats down a couple more times, making sure to get off all the remnants of the strong caustic detergents found in BBQ spray cleaner.

When everything is nice and clean again, wipe the seats with some ArmorAll, then let it sit for a few days. While ArmorAll isn't a cure-all, it surely will be benefitial for old vinyl upholstery.

Here's a picture of mine; I cleaned them sometime in november of 2008. After that, I kept them in my bedroom for over a year and occasionally redid the ArmorAll treatment. I installed the seats somehwere around february 2010 and haven't cleaned or cared for them ever since, they still look the same as they did the day I reinstalled them.

My seats were smeared with road grime, used engine oil and old grease, so I had to use something with grease cutting abilities like oven cleaner. If it's only dust on yours, soapy water or regular window cleaner might be just the ticket; SimpleGreen sounds like a sound idea to me as well. Pity SimpleGreen ain't sold over here in Krautland, I have never seen such an effective cleaner/ degreaser for such a low price (except for methyl ethyl ketone maybe)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds crazy but I used Mr. clean magic eraser bathroom cleaner on all my 67' saddle parts. Scared me too death because my wife told me to trust her but it worked awesome. Everything's super clean but smells like a lemon. lol
Works great on my boat seats too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts