Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've noticed that the extensions on my 68 don't seem to line up the way I want them too. Seems like you line up one side and the other side is off a little bit. Anyone got any suggestions on what to do or am i just going to have to bare with it?...
Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had some issues with the corner extensions too, I ended up just getting it best I could by oblonging the mounting holes just a tad, it still isn't perfect but nobody notices because the car overall is way too cool.

·
11,000 Posts
The fender extension fit is dependent on the doors and hood being fit properly first. The shop manual gives you a list of target gaps to make it easier. Also the front edge of the hood can be easily bent forward and back to fine tune the results. Washers can be used under the studs on the fender extensions, as the factory did when the car was built new.

yeah i might use a little fiberglass. We'll see how my patience is after all the other body work....

·
Registered
38 Posts
The extensions are made of pot metal, since they are on the exposed ends of the car they often are hit and bent. With gentle bending and hammer work, they can be made to fit both the outside fender curve and the hood/ trunk lines and they have enough material that some areas can be ground down to fit. Warning, they can break if too much pressure is used.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This is one of the challenges on the 67/68 and 69/70's (at least). As others have said, get the hoof, fenders and trunk lid aligned properly first and then (my method) is to pull, bend, etc. to get the edges to line up properly. As others have said, these can break/tear in the process so care is warranted. A little body work to fix any "pulling" of the stud bosses and you are golden.

I don't recommend trying to make them one with the fenders, they will without fail crack eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts