Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original, mica pearl, metallic, plain duco,

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about it, but then thought Nah, also thought of stone chip.:)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
HOUSE OF KOLOR, dupont or any of thye above but definatel do original if its a rare car, go crazy if its a hotrod.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you all forgot Western Hi-Glo ( JOKE!!!! ) House of Kolor is nice stuff, but really nothing that cant be duplicated without having to buy their expensive stuff. well, exc the Kameleon Kolors. hell i can make a nice Candy with regular paints. either way im a fan of pearl paint jobs but a nice candy job is sweeeeet. :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have only used Sikkens or Grip Guard (same company makes both) polyeurathane (sp?) when i worked a a sign shop. i used some of thier paint to paint my old car and it worked great.
I have no experience with base / clear coat or any other paints.
I too am wondering what I should paint the Cougar with. or what color. Most likely white. If one where to go with a dark, almost black aqua met. what would you sugest. Steve. you da paint guru...

Thanks,
rich

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Bowl..... Nissan uses a very very dark green on the newer maximas that might be really sweet. its more of a green than an aqua but man, its more of a black than anything. itll look pretty cool. material wise, you cant go wrong with Dupont. just dont be shocked to spend around $500 for materials alone. unless you go to a shop. in that case, its their problem :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine is original bronze metallic. Where should I vote?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guess it would have to be metallic, unless you want to repaint it and change it to pearl or something. This is more for what paint you think is best, not whatson your car, unless you think that is best, wow, I'm talking myself in circles here

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have metallic with alot of pearl in it on my car but thats not why I chose it. I just like the looks of mettalics better. Actually its just an opinion question. I also liked my car when I had it competion blue. Hmmm I guess it just depends....lol
John

·
Registered
454 Posts
You forgot about spray paint in a can... from Wal-Mart... Apparently that's what MY cougar was painted with....

I don't take it to the car wash anymore 'cuz everytime I do a few more square inches of paint flakes off....

I don't towel dry it either.... cuz my white rags end up turning that ugly green they painted my car....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey.... thinking about paint... since I will obviously be repainting the cat one of these days....

How the heck do you prep the cowel??? OK I can manage the vents... albiet time consuming.... but what about the paint down in there?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I like base clears. Base drys in minutes and the clear can be wet sanded to a mirror finish removing any orange peel runs dirt or impurrfections. Solids or metallics both work well under clearcoats.
Prep is the key as the best paint won't make up for poor prep work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"I like base clears. Base drys in minutes and the clear can be wet sanded to a mirror finish removing any orange peel runs dirt or impurrfections. Solids or metallics both work well under clearcoats.
Prep is the key as the best paint won't make up for poor prep work."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well said Ray,

I havr nothing to add to that. For everyones information that cares, our shop uses the base coat and clear coat combination. The paint I know for sure is from Diamont and the clear I will have to check. However for my 69 XR7 we used PPG, and it came out nicely. You can see the results in my gallery.

Take care everyone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Now I do have something to add, "havr" should be have, what would I do with out spell check.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts