Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back in the 70's a ole timer in the trade told me the best mix to help stop rusting . It is messy and will drip a long time but has great coverage .

Take name brand RM pre kleeno and mix it 50/50 with 50 W motor oil . This heavy oil will coat and hang in there . The pre kleeno acts as a wick drawing it into the pinch seams in the doors - quarters every where you squirt it . Best if applied with a pump type oil can .

It will drip out for a long time but is very effective he had done it on his car and still had it .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HUH? The first thing I thought was it's got silicone in it -- NOT the thing you want to ever get near a car with a paint job in it's future, but according to this http://absap.com/rmtech/900.htm
it's made to prep for paint...who knew? Interesting.....I know dad used to mix up some smelly [email protected] with Kerosene and spray it around, but I hated the smell, figured I would never do it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CR oil will never set up and repeals moisture really well . The Pre Kleeno is a cleaner yes and will act like a soldering wick drawing it in .

Kerosene is smelly I wouldn't want to use it .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up - because it is something I was talking about not a week ago to a guy about how Z-bart use to due the rust preventative thing and how much of a rip-off I thought that was.....My 86 mustang (only car I ever bought new BTW) rusted out at the pinch seams along the doors and trunk areas and I paid for the whole treatment and took awesome care of that thing....no reason it should have rusted like that......I was stationed in texas the first 4 years of it's life. Something like this may have prolonged that - maybe. My Mom just bought a new Fusion and paid for this ridiculously expensive treatment the dealer sold her (includes touch ups and fixes of various things if they happen) and I am thinking it was throwing money into a wishing well....but it was 6 months ago and the surface of the thing still feels like it was siliconed or something...? NO idea what they did? Anybody know? I like the idea of getting it into the areas prone to hold water - so a home remedy is well worth the trouble if you ask me!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We did Rusty Jones Repair at a body shop . He was there every Tuesday writing claims , Most of it came to us . When they applied it they never did the pinch welds just sprayed it in the door about as much as they could . When they did the pinch welds they would clog the drain holes and doors would fill up with water .

I can find out what she bought , I work at a Ford Stamping Factory and I will not buy anything they try to sell me . Paint has come along way and is durable . Even with the rust preventative coatings on steel rust in a salted street area will always be trouble .

I like to drive threw car washes that spray the bottoms off best deal if you keep vehicles .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts