Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are other people using for replacement windshield wiper blades? I've been using trico neoform beam blades for years and they're awesome but before I go out and buy more neoforms, was wondering if there was anything brand new out there in the last year that are notable and I should take a look at? I gotta buy new wipers for all 4 vehicles before winter!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
if u are looking for newer cougar info, look at a newer cougar forum. :) most of us here won't drive ours in the rain...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if u are looking for newer cougar info, look at a newer cougar forum. :) most of us here won't drive ours in the rain...
Will do... I figured that most old cougar owners also have newer vehicles and may want to weigh-in. I did find and post at new cougar though. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I get good results on my Fusion with the standard ANCO blades I purchase at the local Walmart.

I have tried some of the trick blades and the "Branded" blades and they are not worth the extra money.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
ANCO's still have steel frames. You can save another dollar of you buy plastic but I think Yelo gave great advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
switched from ss ultras to solux - not as white/blue but I like the daylight color and brightness and the fact that they should last longer than the ultras…hopefully

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ANCO's still have steel frames
I see you're in colorado and I'm not sure if your snow/ice situation is similar to wisconsin or not but I will tell you that the beam blades (like the neoforms I'm using) are a major improvement in the winter. They don't clog up with ice and stiffen up creating huge streaks...there's no frame for the ice and snow to pack into. On the rare occasion I do get ice on them, one snap up and down and the ice falls right off and they're like new.

I'll probably stick with the neoforms but I was hoping to have someone tell me about some new mind-blowing wiper blade that's come out in the past year. Sounds like the same choices are still out there with nothing really new to take a look at. I've got another week or so before I buy, so we'll see.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That does bring up an interesting thought on our cars though - has anybody noticed that many of the stores don't carry just the refills anymore for wiper blades..? the rape artists are selling the arm and all now cuz it "easier" -----NOT ON MY WALLET! Common people - how hard is it really>>? I bet I can swap my blades in less than 6 minutes.....

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
That does bring up an interesting thought on our cars though - has anybody noticed that many of the stores don't carry just the refills anymore for wiper blades..? the rape artists are selling the arm and all now cuz it "easier" -----NOT ON MY WALLET! Common people - how hard is it really>>? I bet I can swap my blades in less than 6 minutes.....
My local Autozone doesn't have the refills on the shelf but they do have them in the back. All you have to do is ask. They make more money off the complete piece so they push those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've talked to several places and they state that there's so many variables that more often than not customers buy the wrong thing, destroy them and then want to return them. Refills work great if you're absolutely sure you have the original wiper frames because then the application guides can match up refills correctly. The problem is that most cars don't have original frames and maybe trico or anco and then they buy the "mercury cougar" refill and it doesn't work. Basically it sounds like a can of worms that they no longer want to deal with in most cases.

I have no problem paying a little more and making it a 1 minute maintenance item rather than (for me) probably a 3-hour tour with lots of headaches...not the most mechanical in the world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts