Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i have the stock rear end in my 68 xr7, 351c engine. im looking to get a new one, id like more power but id also like to do longer drives with it like 100+ KMs
so which gearing will give me the most power while keeping the rpms low enough on the highway for comfortable driving? thanks

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
3.25 is max for the type of driving you spoke of, unless you have a transmission with overdrive. I have driven Isabel 3000 miles in the past year and with 3.25 gears it is tolerable (but with good off the line acceleration). I do not feel comfortable at 80 MPH for very long, but 70-75 is "just fine". Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm running 3.00's factory and also have a 351c in my Cat. It doesn't hole shot like my old cat with 4:11's, but I get plenty of power and I get exceptional gas mileage with a 4bbrl holley 600 cfm on it and pull over 312 ponies :) I can also do 0-100 mph in 16s. I would say thus far.... car runs best around 70 mph.

However, I personally would like a little more pull off the line and like 3.83's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts